Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conservatory or Extension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservatory or Extension?

I am in the process of buying a property and all enquiries have been satisfied bar one, the opening between the kitchen and the conservatory.

As it stands the conservatory and the kitchen have been merged into one and as the estate agent details read a recently refurbished kitchen with open plan conservatory. The conservatory area is around 12sqm in size with replacement double glazing with french doors to the side and double radiator. In my eys this deems it an extension not a conservatory and would need retrospective building regs but if turned back into a conservatory could I escape this?

The owner of the property approached the council regarding this but this now means now that any indemity insurance is invalid. So now I'm in the position of, can i turn back into a conservatory in order to push the house sale through? what would I need to do to do this? and what happens in the future when I come to sell? What should I ask him to pay for? does it effect the value of the house? do I also need to check if planning permision was needed ( 6 - 7 years old)?

I would be gratful for any help in this matter as have sold my house and want to get into my new one as soon as possible!!

Re: Conservatory or Extension?

There could be other issues, but if you put a closeable door in the opening between the kitchen and the conservatory you may get away with it.

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

I was having problems with building regulations and planning permission with a new conservatory I was having build but came across a good site that explains things and also gives you the chance to talk to professional builders. As my builder didn't really explain the in's and out's to me. I cant put a link to it but will put the company name at the bottom of the post in case you are interested in taking a look.

Just Ask Dino

Comment

get in touch with the council and find out where you stand. Get it in writing and make your decesion from there.

Comment

Working...
        X