Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people buy property too big for them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people buy property too big for them?

Another pet peeve of mine - I've found a lot of 4 and 5 bedroom houses are bought by couples with either just one or no kids, and no plans for more.

So what to do with the spare 2 or 3 bedrooms?

Sure, it's fine for letting visitors stay over, but I find it strange to see so many people pushing their budgets and stretching their mortgage payments for a property way in excess of what they actually need.

I live alone and I wouldn't consider less than a three bedroom house. One room for a guest room, which does get used some, and another for either an office or whatever. Also, a house with more bedrooms usually means larger living areas too which I prefer. If someone would get smart and build homes with a large master suite, a large living dining area and then a small guest room it would be great. But they don't.

Comment

Well Vicki, it sounds like you need to meet with an architect and have him design a house just for you. We have 2 kids, and I'd LOVE to have 4 or 5 bedrooms. One for my husband and I, one for each child, and that would leave one for a guest room and one for an office/computer room. So, I can see why people would want extra rooms.

Comment

Ideally, I will end up building a barn style house with alot of open space and three bedrooms lol. I love space and I suspect that alot of other people do too!

Comment

Originally posted by vicki2 View Post
          If someone would get smart and build homes with a large master suite, a large living dining area and then a small guest room it would be great. But they don't.
          That's a very good point - would be interesting to see if anyone is actually targeting sole occupiers in larger properties directly.

Comment

I would love a four bedroom house but I also have two boys. The one thing I never understood are the houses that have four or more bathrooms. To me I don't get why you need that many bathrooms unless you have a big family.

Comment

We have two bathrooms, but when everyone's trying to get ready at once, those two aren't enough. I'd love to have at least one more. Thankfully I don't have girls, or I'd NEVER get in the bathroom!

Comment

I think en suite houses are great ....whether it's for kids or for guests, it's nice to have privacy and I think it adds to a house. I'd be more likely to buy a house with en suites than not.

Comment

When you say en suites is that the same as like a mother in law suite? If so I would love to have one of them also.

Comment

We used to have three toilets in the house we were renting. Certainly very convenient for all five of us when living there, though my girlfriend hated the extra cleaning chores involved.

Comment

Tater, in the UK, en suite means a bathroom included in the bedroom suite ...not a shared one. In the States most master bedrooms have them, but not the other bedrooms usually.

Comment

We NEED a 5 bedroom. I have four kids and my husband and I so 6 total. I want my kids to each have their own room so that is why I want that many rooms. I can see what you are talking about .. Why get a huge house if you can't occupy it?

Comment

If I had lots and lots of money, I would want a four or five bedroom house, too. I have two kids. But I wouldn't want one like that if I lived alone.
                          I always think it's a good idea to have one extra bedroom, though. If you can afford it, of course.

Comment

Thank you so much for explaining what you mean by an ensuite. You're right though the cleaning of all those extra bathrooms would not be any fun.

Comment

Working...
                            X