Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying First Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying First Home

Hello,
    My partner and I are planning and saving to move out and buy our first home. I'm really excited but at the same time, really concerned about all the responsibility it entails.
    At this moment in time, my partner's unemployed (but its eargerly seeking work) so I'm the only one bringing in money. But that'll obviously change when he's got a job.
    I've tried compiling a list of Bills that we're going to have and am trying to get an idea of how much we've got to set aside to pay the Bills.
    But having never paid for these bills, I don't know what figure I should allow. Also whether Im missing anything?

We're just looking for a 1/2 bedroom flat, in Hastings, East Sussex. Currently they are priced around £60,000+ . So I don't know how whether the ammounts I've allocated are realistic enough, plus I like to allow for a little extra as prices are always on the up, so it gives us a little bit of a buffer.

Does this look realistic?

Monthly
    Mortgage (Monthly - £600?)
    Electricity (£60)
    Gas (?)
    Food (£250)
    Council Tax (£150?)
    Water (£25?)
    TV Liscence (£15)
    Home Insurance (£75?)
    Contingency fund to keep property maintained (£50)
    Internet/Sky (obviously a necessity, but would like to have it) (£30)

I also have a car which I need to budget for, as well as a monthly mobile phone contract, monthly contact lesnses direct debit.

Also, what percentage of the property do we need to save for the deposit?

Its so confusing! Plus I've got to buy furniture!
    The lists go on and on, any help would be much appreciated.
    Thankyou.

Re: Buying First Home

One thing that stands out is your home insurance - I would not at all think it should come to £75month - I would expect somewhere in the region of £100-£150.

You can compare quotes from a good selection of reputable insurers here:
    Home Insurance from Brite Insurance

Comment

Re: Buying First Home

I am also planning to buy in the near future, but I will be waiting till about 2011, as I don't think the market has fully bottomed yet.
      Liam Bailey is the director of Web Copywriting company for the property industry, Write About Property.

Comment

Working...
      X