Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extension with no Building Reg's approval!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension with no Building Reg's approval!!

My wife and I are at the present downsizing our home, and going through the process of buying a Detached House which has a large two storey extension at the rear, but the searches have thrown up couple of problems.

The original house was built in 1981 for which we have copies of the Planning Permission etc.
    Sometime between 1981 and 1998 an extension was added at the rear of about 55 cu/metres comprising of a dining room, utility room and WC, all with a flat roof, but there is no trace of a planning application or approval and according to the Building regulation Control records no Building Regulations consent.
    In 2003 a further extension was added on top of the first, extending the size of two bedrooms and adding an ensuite, we do have copies of the planning approval and Building Regulations consent for this build.

Having spent some time at the local planning office I have hit a blank wall, there is no sign of any information about the first extension, all they can suggest is that I have full survey carried out and see what that shows, but the surveyor can only make comment on what he can see above ground and my concern is the foundations, I doubt very much if the first extension was built with a future upstairs extension in mind.

Some may well suggest it is not worth worrying about, but at my time of life and having had previous experience with troubles to dodgy foundations I do not wish to repeat the exercise it was extremely stressful.

Any thoughts or should I pull out.
    Thanks.

Re: Extension with no Building Reg's approval!!

As a non-professional, I would say don't buy it and look for something else.

Comment

Working...
    X