Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GF buying her first house which has damp problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GF buying her first house which has damp problem.

HI All

First time posting here.

I am wandering if anyone may be able to help. My girlfriend is in the final stages of buying her first house up here in Scotland which has been found to have a damp problem around the door and a potential history of damp issues. The survey found this problem. And her solicitors have gotten someone to give a quote of about £1000 to fix the problem.

I am wandering if there is anyway she can get the seller to cough up the cost of this fix or get the house price they agreed on lowered to cover the costs? The house has apparently had a damp problem since 2007 and it has been known about but the current occupiers have failed to fix it.

I have browsed around the net but most of it pertains to english law and practices.

Thankyou for any help

Paul

It certainly can't hurt to ask, or perhaps suggest you split the cost with the vendor. I don't believe you have any right to demand it, but from the vendors perspective if it is going to ensure the deal goes through they may be willing to do it.

Speak to your agent and see what they have to say.

Did the mortgage valuation pick up on it? Does your mortgage lender have any issue with it?
    Independent Mortgage Advisor, expert in residential, buy to let, holiday let, and refinance mortgages

Comment

I would recommend getting them to stump up and making sure you have recourse if the problem reappears. One of the main problems with damp is it's tough to get rid of for good. I've had a damp problem for a while and have injected walls and replastered with waterresistant plaster but no joy so make sure it's not a major issue.

Comment

Working...
      X