Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you save?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you save?

We're currently living in a mobile home (manufactured home, depending on who you talk to) and would like to find a REAL house. However, we're struggling coming up with the down payment. How would you begin to save for a down payment while still having other bills to pay?

I think it's going to be the case of saving by cutting expenditure in unnecessary areas and generally really buckling your belt when it comes to finances.

We all generally live to our means - so lower the level of your means to free up some cash which you can put away for a deposit.

2c.

Comment

It's tough! I agree with Brian that you just have to tighten your belt and do without things ...but keep in mind what you're working toward, which is worth the effort in the end.

Comment

Yes, even if it is just a small amount a week it all adds up pretty quickly. I would write down everything you spend money on a month and then after that month look it over and see where you might be able to cut some things out.

Comment

It's hard and I used to wonder all the time where people came up with the huge down payments. Then, I borrowed against my retirement fund for my first house. Worked fine and the repayment was at a very low interest.

Comment

Those are some good suggestions. Thanks. We're looking at things and seeing what we can do. So far, we've cut out satellite. That's an extra $56 a month, so that should help some.

Comment

Also, things like clipping coupons and sale shopping can really help too. It's also a good habit just to get into because savings are out there.

Comment

You are so right about the coupons. I never really believed it until I started using them and I have saved alot of money. Watch for the days when they will double the coupons.
                That is great the you have already found something you can cut. That 56.00 will add up before you know it.

Comment

One of the simplest ways to save is to downgrade on your car or simply sell it. The costs of buying and running a car are pretty big, so this is an area you can immediately make savings in.

The big one is discipline, though - you really need this in spades when setting up long term financial goals.

Comment

Working...
                  X