Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

property with loft conversion without planning permission in 70s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• property with loft conversion without planning permission in 70s

I am buying a chalet bungalow first time. it has 2 bedrooms built in the loft space. It is probate sale and there is no paper or planning permission available for any work carried out in the house. Accordingly to them extension was carried out in 1970. They also seemed rebuilt garage around that time but no panning.
    Solicitor says we will ask for indemnity insurance from seller and then can buy it.
    just to be clear Council search says only one liner that in 1968 "alternations to rooms in loft - Grant" but they don't have any other paper.
    I know different people say that old extension has no meaning and council cannot order to remove it.
    My question is should I buy the house or pull out? is my solicitor's ( recommended by estate agent) advise correct? Will I have salability issue in the future?
    I need advise from expert mainly from a solicitor or experienced person. Thanks for your help.

I also intend to do structural survey but don't know how much it will help. What is the way to know whether the loft conversion was carried out as per the planning rules of time of 1970--
Working...
X