Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Building Survey - Outcome

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building Survey - Outcome

    Hi All, I am a first time buyer and am interested in a property. We got building survey done of the property and as an outcome of it have been requested to get a structural engineer to look at few cracks in one of the room(s). I thought building survey should cover all these ? Can anyone please advise ? Have you come across a similar scenario and if so how do I go about hiring one of them ?
    Thank you.

  • #2
    A building survey is designed to provide a general report on all aspects of the building, however will always recommend further investigative inspections to be carried out by specialists in particular niches; whether that be damp, plumbing or structural issues. Furthermore, building surveyors will always protect themselves against negligence and typically score issues based on their severity. If the severity score is high, I would recommend further inspection from a structural engineer.

    A good place to start is here to get quotes for work - https://hoa.org.uk/services/structural-engineers/