Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saleability of property without Building Regs sign off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saleability of property without Building Regs sign off

Hi, my offer was accepted on a lovely 3 bed flat in a converted Victorian house. I understand that a vendor before the current vendor built an extension in 2004 (for 2 extra bedrooms and 1 living room), and planning permission was granted however the vendor at the time never got planning sign off.
    So I'm currently considering whether to ask for the vendor to arrange a retrospective sign off or get happy with indemnity insurance. I understand that with retrospective sign off I will invalidate the insurance and further works may have to be done by the vendor to get it in line with current building regs. Do you think it's worth the effort or am I overanalysing and worry too much?
    I don't worry about the structure's quality as it's already been 14 years and there are no signs of the extension not being built properly (I will get a surveyor and structural engineer to come in though) BUT what my concern is the re-sale potential of the property in the future. Am I going to lose future sales because buyers will be uncomfortable about the lack of sign off? I am planning to sell in about 5 years. Has anyone here had a similar experience and was able to successfully sell the property? I read that there are lots of properties without proper sign offs but how damaging is this to the resale potential? Thank you.
Working...
X