Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying by a secondary school - good or bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying by a secondary school - good or bad?

We are really interested in a lovely house in South West london. The house is on a lovely street, requires a good deal of work so is at a great price. However, at the top of the street, only a few doors up from us, a new secondary school (academy) is close to completion and will over the next few years grow from 500 pupils to 1100.

I am not so worried about the kids, as I'll be at work all day (although my partner is). I'm more worried about the look of the building (but my partner isn't).

We want to make this our home for many years to come but I am slightly worried that should the reputation of the school decline in this time we may end up regretting the purchase. This is the only thing that worries us really, we are close to great transport links, have big rooms, are near friends and family, good front and back gardens as well as loads of potential to be a beautiful family home.

Has anyone got any experience of living by a school?

Wow you're brave

I could probably live next ot aprimary school but not a secondary...

Comment

The properties next to the secondary school I attended...many moons ago
      were mainly occupied by the over 60's age bracket and all well manicured and well kept.

I know that our head teacher was constantly preaching about behaviour outside the school gates and respecting the local residents and as such the area remained and still is sought after.

I would expect that if the school is new (not yet open?) that it will be looking to establish a good reputation. I suppose the upside of living near a secondary school with a good reputation, you will get a good return on your investment.

It depends on ow much you like the property??
      www.ownerhome.co.uk
      commission free property sales and lettings

Comment

I assume you know the area reasonably well so that's probably you're best guide?

As I understand it, an 'academy' branded school is one with 'special' resources due to previously bad results etc - I could be judging wrongly, but I know this the case where I used to live in London.

Either way, the previous advice stands, a new school will want a good repuation so I'm sure they will do everything they can to help.

Comment

Working...
        X