Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas/Electric/Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas/Electric/Water

Hi

I should have purchased my first house in about a 1 and a half weeks time. I am looking for advice on the handover of Gas and Electric.

My first question is - what is the process. Do i need to contact the utility companies on the day i move in? or do i need to do this before? Do i need to record the meters? Is this the same for the water company too?

My second question is- these are the current utility providers. Do i stick with them, or do i shop around!?
    Gas - British Gas
    Water - Thames Water
    Electric - Southern Electric

Thanks very much

Hiya

On the day you move in, you should read the meters (gas, electric and water if installed) and contact the utility companies to give them the readings and register your details as the new owner.

It's entirely up to you whether you change gas and electricity suppliers, you'd have to check out the prices charged by the alternative suppliers.

You will also need to contact the Local Authority for Council Tax and don't forget to get a TV licence!

Hope this was helpful.

Kaz

Comment

Thanks Kaz. Keep responses coming...

Comment

You have all the current suppliers - why not phone their customer service departments and ask them what they would expect to happen at changeover of resident?

You might want to stick with the current suppliers over the move-in date, for ease of transition, but by all means shop around for a better deal once you've moved in and settled...

Comment

Working...
        X