Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding conveyance for property / register of title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding conveyance for property / register of title

Is it possible to find a list of conveyances relating to a property?

Would there be a conveyance done for the purchase (Jan 2001) when the register of title edition date is Feb 2001?
    (Hampshire - England)

Thanks Nigel

If you have the title for your property it will have covenants and conditions that this property must adhere to, if you look through this section it will give you a list of any documents that this property is ruled by, note the date, parties to the document, document type, if it has a separate title number and if possible where it appears in the title, visit the land registry website and you can order documents from your title for around £4.

Comment

To be technically correct there wouldn't have been a conveyance in 2001 simply because all property in England is now transferred by Land Registry Transfer. if the Transfer doe not contain any new rights or covenants then the Land Registry will register the transfer and may well destroy the actual transfer deed. Why keep it?

Is it possible to find a list of conveyances relating to a property?
      I think OP actually needs to explain more about what he is trying to find out. Does he want historic information about prices over the years? Or the names of previous owners?
      RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
      As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Thanks Richard thats interesting...

The original conveyance (1947) that I have consists of 3 properties, an access road and a right of way over land at the end of the access road, there are additional paragraphs that sell off the other 2 houses and grant them right of way over the access road. I have been told that when the house was sold in 2001 the access road was retained by the original owner. I want to establish if this is correct and (more importantly) if there is a right of way over the access road. The register of title does not state any right of way (does say "the land is subject to the rights reserved by a conveyance...1947"), I thought if there was a conveyance done in 2001 it would specify if the road was retained by the original owner and if there was a right of way granted?

Nigel

Comment

The register of title does not state any right of way (does say "the land is subject to the rights reserved by a conveyance...1947"),
          Is this the register of the house sold in 2001?

If so does it include the access road within this title?

Provided all three properties are registered then you need to obtain official copies of the three registers and the three plans. Then you will see whether rights have been granted for each property over the access road. If the register refers to a document and it says "copy filed" then you have to pay a further £5 for the LR to send you a copy of it. The filed document might contain rights etc.

If the access road is not within any of the titles then presumably it has been retained. You or some friend or family member used to own all three properties, otherwise why would you have the 1947 conveyance?

In fact the very fact that you have the 1947 conveyance would seem to indicate that some area of land within it is still owned as normally the original deeds go to the person who buys the last area of an unregistered title to be sold, the others only get certified or examined copies of those deeds.

If the 1947 conveyance is the last deed before the sales off then normally memoranda of the sales off should be endorsed on the back of it along these lines: "By a conveyance dated ## [Month] 19## made between XX and YY the property known as [description, address etc, possibly referring to a plan then attached to the 1947 conveyance] was conveyed to YY and his right to production of the within written conveyance [i.e. the 1947 one] was thereby acknowledged." Before Land Registration, examination of a conveyance such as this for the absence of a memorandum of the sale of the area you were buying, was the only way to make sure it had not already been sold to someone else!

Sometimes the descriptions might be vague on these memoranda and they might not be conclusive enough to see if the road was included, but the three LR title plans should show the extent of the land conveyed.

Does that help?
          RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
          As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
          X