Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snagging list...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snagging list...

Hi guys,

I've just joined this forum tonight so hi!

When buying a new build, does anyone have any recommendations for what to look out for re: the snagging list?

I've noticed things like plug sockets not straight etc. Am I being too fussy?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Lynds

The old adage; You get what you pay for - you don't get what you don't pay for. I think it might depend on what you bought;

If you've just paid £125k for a 3-bed semi built by a mainstream builder, I'm tempted to say that the mains sockets not being 100% level might not be your primary concern.... and it might be difficult to get the customer services rep to take an interest in them.

If, on the other hand, you've just paid £850k for something from a 'prestige' builder, then you should expect better, and demand that teh builder put those sockets straight.

Give us a clue. What have you just bought?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynds View Post
      Hi guys,

I've just joined this forum tonight so hi!

When buying a new build, does anyone have any recommendations for what to look out for re: the snagging list?

I've noticed things like plug sockets not straight etc. Am I being too fussy?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Lynds
      Hello,
      Be as fussy if you like - if you don't ask you won't get ! Check all the plug sockets work and the light switches. Do all the windows open and lock where applicable. Check glass for scratches - you would expect minor scratching at edges but make sure there are not big scratches over the middle. Check all the taps work and water drains easily. Also check baths, shower trays and sinks for scratches - you have no idea how many builders do tiling etc and don't protect the sanitary ware. Do all the doors close properly. Check for squeaky floors - too late once the carpets are down. Even if you have to fix them yourself it is worth it. Make sure appliances fitted are all working as well as the heating. Check all the radiators heat up properly. If you want the sockets straightened up then ask for that too. Outside make sure the rhone pipes are all attached to somewhere for the water to go.
      I do understand the idea that you get what you pay for but a buyer is entitled to expect that the basics are done properly. If I bought a bottom of the range mini I would not expect it to have the style and performance of a top end Lexus but I would expect it to have all the parts in working order.

Comment

Bright advice! Employ the services of a qualified surveyor for peace of mind.

Comment

Yeh take some in the know round.

I usually send my Brother off to any viewings i or anyone else does - even though he is a plumber he has basic skills in all trades so can see if something isn't right pretty quickly.

Comment

I say take as many people to view the property more the merrier!

tiler Nottingham

Comment

tiler nottingham

Originally posted by Brightmove View Post
              Bright advice! Employ the services of a qualified surveyor for peace of mind.
              Did you know that even if you paid for a qualified surveyor and then something does go wrong that they never picked up on. Then that you wont be insured by the surveying company.

Comment

Working...
              X