Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look before ready to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look before ready to buy

I think it is sometimes a good idea to look around at some houses before you are ready to buy. You can get a general feel for the current market trends this way. You can also see what type houses are currently available in your price range.

Absolutely right - when looking we toured new developments especially, to get an idea of general of the general size for the price range we were looking at. Always good to shop around when buying, and houses are definitely no exception.

Comment

New developments is fine but I would feel a little guilty taking up someones time if i wasnt really interested in buying, but I suppose if they dont know

Comment

Absolutely right. You're a potential lead and for all you know, you could actually like the property. By comparing what's on the market, you're able to get an idea of what you can afford to like.

There are such high mark-ups and profits on property sales that the developer sales reps aren't too worried who they sell to, because it's just a numbers game - show x people the properties, make y sales. Also, most new developments sell up relatively quickly.

Comment

I would never consider buying without looking around at all the different types of houses and property that is for sale. I think it is a great idea to look around and see what it is you are actually interested in.

Comment

The beauty of the internet is the ability now to really research areas and prices without leaving home. YOu can literally go to see your first house knowing exactly what the market is about.

Comment

Things have definitely changed from when we bought our house 10 years ago. Now, you can look online and almost look at a house, before going to see it. You can also have a list of houses that you've checked out online, and just have the agent help you with those.

Comment

Saves a great deal on gasoline, doesn't it? Not to mention false leads, bad realtors suggestions etc.

Comment

I found house plans online were great to get an idea of size of property. However, lots of towns and cities these days have multiple developments close by, usually with more than one developer on the same development plot, so you can literally walk to showhomes from different builders within the same area and suss out the houses for a more detailed inspection.

Comment

Do you pay attention to detail in the model homes? Or do the details matter that much? We went in one a couple of years ago, and the cursory look was great, but the details weren't. There were a lot of small things that weren't right.

Comment

I don't think the details are important - show homes get a lot of time and money invested in them to try and make them look right. What I look for is size of rooms, how they're all arranged, and just a general idea of the layout and living space and how it may or may not suit our own family.

Bedrooms were a big issue when searching, as with 3 young kids we wanted to ensure the bedrooms for the kids allowed for some play space. Some properties on the market had only enough rooms for beds, little else, which was off-putting.

Comment

Searching for a new home is a tremendous task nowadays. Not only do you have to match price, location, size and style. You also need to look at area market trends to make sure you are not overpaying. The internet is a useful tool for sifting out the dross and saving leg work but gut feel and instinct are far more valuable to most people so at least run round the area and see what it has to offer. If you like it start your search from there or look elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X