Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

No announcement yet.

possible fraud?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible fraud?

hi there,

i'm a new member to the forum, and joined up to see if i can get a bit more input on a situation i am investigating at the moment.

a few years back i seperated from my ex-wife, and during court proceedings, i ended up losing a lot of money through the court case due to her managing to get the family home under-valued in a way i could not fight back against.

now to the main reason i am posting.

my ex-wife got married last year, and obviously, changed her name to her husbands name. I recently noticed on a house valueing site that she had recently sold the property for a lot less than the other houses that have sold in the area. She still lives at the address though, so i figured that she had maybe sold the property to one of these "we buy your property and rent back to you" companies.

I then decided to start my investigation, and got a copy of the title deeds for the property from the land registry. on looking at the deeds, she has had her name changed to her partners name, and also got him included.

As far as i know, if you are just changing the title deeds to a different name or adding a name, or even getting a re-mortgage does not register on the title deeds as a sale. In the past we got a re-mortgage on the property, and it did not show up as a "sale" in the title deeds register. and when I moved out and she had the property moved to her name, again, it did not show as a "sale"

so the full question i am asking is this...

When a title deed at the land registration office is showing as a sale, what does this actually cover and do you need to have sold the property to another person?

i.e. are you allowed to sell yourself your own house for less than market value?

knowing the sort of person she is, i just get the gut feeling there is a fraud here, but want to eliminate any potential cases where you can legally do this.

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If the property was transferred from A to A and B or vice versa and some money chnaged hands then the Registry would record that amount and it will show up as a quirk.

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Richard is correct, I remortgaged my property and that was registered with the land registry.