Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Planning Permission or Regs on Extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Planning Permission or Regs on Extension

I am in the process of buying a mid terrace house which has an extension on the back, that contains the bathroom and kitchen also the extension has a part polycarbonate roof (as shown in the drawing attached). In the Survey taken out by my lender they asked my solicitor to confirm if the was any planning permission and building regs for the extension, which after some searches there does not seem to be.
    The current owner has been at the property for 5 years he said the extension was already there but did not know when it was built. Since then a neighbour has confirmed in writing to my solicitor that the extension was built 30 years ago in 1978. The seller is willing to pay for an Indemnity Insurance on the extension to cover any future problem. I am currently waiting to hear from my lender as to whether they will still give me the mortgage due to the lack of plans & regs.
    • Is this Indemnity Insurance sufficient to cover this?
    • Is there anyway I can find out how much it will cost to bring it up to modern day regs, without involving a building inspector?
    • Will I have problems when I come to sell?
    • Where do I stand if I want to replace the polycarbonate roofing for double glazing at a latter date. And possibly add heating to the extension?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

we sold a house recently that did not have planning permission. We pruchased indemnity insurance to cover the extension. there was no issue from pruchasers mortgage provider

Comment

Thanks. We have now exchanged contracts so I hope it wont be an issue when we come to sell, the mortgage lenders, solictors and estate agent seem to think it will be ok. So fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
      X