Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

No announcement yet.

Buying a house!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a house!

Well, after watching the property market for about a year, looking at different areas, and seeing what came up, I've just made an offer on a property.

It isn't the ideal house I was looking for - it's a Barrat home and 3 years old - but there's absolutely no way I can afford the sort of traditional/period property that would be ideal, certainly not at present.

The good news is that the house itself is fine and probably the best I could find in the price range, and the rooms are very good sizes. It has a nice cottage look and feel to it, and the actual estate is very well laid out - there's no one looming down on us from any angle, and the gardens are large and going to be great for us and the kids.

Best of all, the location is great - the property is located in Nairn, which is part of the area I was ideally targeting. And not only that, the back garden has open views of the sea and mountains (Moray Firth, Black Isle, & Sutherland).

On top of that, it's only a short walk along a country lane to wild and extensive sandy beaches that stretch continuously east for 15 miles in front of Culbin Forest - a Scots Pine forest and part of a Nature Reserve.

So although the house is on the edge of town, it's right next to a protected wilderness area, so we'll always have the countryside next to us. And the beach is fantastic - stretches really far out, with little lagoons forming when the tide is out to create warm and shallow pools for the kids to play in.

Moving is going to be a complete pain - especially with moving a business - but I desperately neeed to get onto the property ladder, and especially in the right area.

The seller stated a fixed price and willingness to sell to the first person who came up with the price, so all looks good at present.

Overall, though, it's incredibly scary - my first mortgage - and it's going to be a big 'un, too!

Congrats! I just saw your post and I know you've been looking for a while. Nairn is such a wonderful town with the best beach in Scotland!
    Also, the proximity to Inverness is likely to make it a dynamite investment in the long term.

How are you getting settled in???

Congratz!! Welcome to the money pit! LOL have you seen that movie? LOL

Not feeling settled in yet, but the beach is lovely and we're really close to Culbin Forest on the east side.

Nairn looks fairly undeveloped as a town, but I figure once they pedestrianise the high street and get a bypass built so that the A96 doesn't run through the town center, will both especially help house prices here.

My mum did say to watch that I bought a house that I should have no problems reselling - I think I can safely say we didn't go off the beaten track. I figure Nairn is also turning from being a retirement town to a commuter town for Inverness as well.

Thanks for the good wishes, too.

I'll post a couple of pics - one of the house, and one of the view from the back garden - can see all along the Black Isle and Sutherland.
        Attached Files

I used to live not far from where you look out to ...near Tain. That's a great house!!!! I think you made a very wise choice. BTW, Elgin is a great town for shopping!

Nice to hear you were in Tain - stopped by there yesterday for a fag when driving the kids up to the beach at Brora.

Looks like Tain probably has a nice beach, too - will check that out soon.

As for shopping Elgin - funnily enough, we've bought quite a bit of great stuff from the retail park there for decorating our home. Some lovely odds and ends.