Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House vs area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House vs area

One of the issues I've recently realised that - as a first-time buyer - I'm not going to get a great house in a great location.

Instead, what I seem to be faced with a choice of is:

1. Nice house OR
    2. Nice area

At present I figure it's better to go for a smaller property in a decent area, on the grounds that I would probably want to look for a larger property in the same area at a later date.

That seems less disruptive on everyone - especially the kids - than moving to different areas everytime we move up the property ladder.

However, does anyone think they would be better off going for the house over the area first?

If I was in your position, I think I would definitely go for area over house.

It's not worth having a large home if you don't have the peace of mind to enjoy it.

On the other hand, it might be an option to find a nice part of a generally not so good area

Comment

I tend to agree, but I also wouldn't give up on finding both ..especially here in Scotland. The last thing you want is a house you love in an area which really sucks lol. Of course, it's one reason, I prefer rural!!!

Comment

I think it is generally easier to find what you want in the rural areas as compared to in the city.

Comment

I'd go for area. A house can be upgraded and worked on but a GOOD area will always give you a good return when it comes to selling.

Comment

Of course ...the throw a spanner into the mix ...it is possible to gamble on an area gentrifying. I managed it once in an area which was pretty bad and bought a loft space to live in. In two years time, the area was really up and coming so I was lucky to make a nice profit. Living with the neighborhood until it all turned was a bit weird tho and not for the faint hearted!

Comment

Property V. Area

If you are into DIY or have good friends who are willing to help then buying the worst property in the best area can be very profitable, so I would go for area too as long as you could bring the property upto standard in a reasonable period of time!
              Mark
              Bridging Loans | Property Development Finance

Comment

My thoughts too ...especially if it's for investment rather than a long term home. That said, I've got friends who invested and who ended up staying because they had a low cost investment, made a great home, and ended up with a great piece of property they didn't want to leave. They ended up with the best of scenarios!

Comment

Thinking about buying a property as an investment should always be the case. You will sell eventually, most likely and it's important to consider this.

Comment

I think that's the case most of the time although so many times people follow their heart with housebuying and think they'll be there forever. Sometimes that logic means you might be there forever and not out of choice either!

Comment

My mum emphasised a good point to me - she said make sure you buy something that you can resell again in 5 years time if you find yourselves wanting to move again.

The area I'm living in now is really up-and-coming, and the houses are probably going to see pretty good rises over the next few years - great scenery, improving transport links (even a new railway line), and prices relatively low until recently.

However, it's worth mentioning that buying in a changing area is maybe the key - my brother lives in a new build property by itself in the middle of an old RAF base, where the forces homes were sold off. It basically looks like a council estate by itself among the fields, and my mum has suggested that will put off a lot of buyers - decent property, less decent location.

Comment

Originally posted by ninikins
                        Thinking about buying a property as an investment should always be the case. You will sell eventually, most likely and it's important to consider this.
                        Not necessarily. I intend to buy a few properties for the long term without the intention of selling in my life time.

Comment

Originally posted by OneofaKind View Post
                          If I was in your position, I think I would definitely go for area over house.

It's not worth having a large home if you don't have the peace of mind to enjoy it.

On the other hand, it might be an option to find a nice part of a generally not so good area
                          i would do the same. i definitely would prioritize the area first. but still, that won't stop me from finding a great house in the great area i've found. if i find it, that would definitely be the property for me and my family. then again, of course, it's not easy to find it.

Comment

That is a very important factor to consider!
                            I mean the area will be their forever!
                            And if you have children growing up around that area you need to consider alot more1
                            Like would you be happy to let your child grow up in an area like that!
                            But I mean if i found my dream home I would just have to weigh up the pros and cons of it all!

Comment

little house lovely people kids safe on streets, big house going cheep lads hanging aroung outside your house on mopeds rideing up and down your road out there heads on dope but you are been oferd this house 80 grand below the real price sam

Comment

Working...
                              X