Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property Purchase in Ireland (Unreasonable Criteria!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Purchase in Ireland (Unreasonable Criteria!)

Hi,

I'm really hoping somebody here and help shed some light on the problem I am having and either point me in the direction of a mortgage expert somebody that can help me!

I am basically trying to buy a property in Ireland (Rep of) as I have a son over there (myself and his mother have split) and I am in the UK. I have enough for a deposit (about 20%) for the property I want, which is just a nice 2 bed house close to my son, I will probably eventually move back over there full time, but for now it would be like a holiday home for when I visit him.

However, the problem I am having is the property is valued and selling for €72,000 and I have been told that the property needs to be €125,000 minimum otherwise I can't get a mortgage or buy it. Now... correct me if I am wrong, but should it not be easier to get a mortgage (on my own) for a smaller amount of money than a bigger one, as my salary alone would probably not get me a €125,000 mortgage anyway. AND... is this not the reason we are in a recession, people lending above their means? Its a really really stupid rule, there must be somebody out there they will give me a mortgage for this? Whatever about the brokers wanting their little 1%, just because they getting £500 or opposed to £1000 for their effort! As mentioned, its a recession, I know I would prefer to see somebody in their home with £500 in my pocket as to £0 in my pocket?

Can anybody shed some light on this please, its getting me so vexed at this stupid rule!
    This is the house that I really want, but being told I am not allowed to buy it!
    I have tried my bank, but they said they wont do overseas loans.

Thanks,
    DG.

Re: Property Purchase in Ireland (Unreasonable Criteria!)

I'm no expert but I would suggest you contact a mortgage advisor in the south, they should be able to help you out. Agree with you it does sound a bit odd.
    Northern Ireland Property

Comment

Re: Property Purchase in Ireland (Unreasonable Criteria!)

Forgot to say, if you have no luck there try posting on The Property Pin • thepropertypin.com, there are a good few there that could give you advice.
      Northern Ireland Property

Comment

Working...
      X