Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow

Out of curiosity, i took a look at some house prices in the Netherlands compared to the UK and i cannot believe how cheap it is over there! It's shocking. I'm still looking to buy in engand but it really was an eye opener.

It's fun to look at prices in other countries. I sometimes do it just for entertainment. Friends recently bought a great house in Romania for what I considered a song, and it's a great house. Getting to be a hot spot that Romania!

Comment

Hmm...maybe the Nertherlands is the next big hot property spot?

Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but I've always been concerned about flood risks - Hull, where I used to live, had areas of the town under sea level - so I'd think flood risk issues would also have to be a concern somewhere like the Netherlands as well.

Comment

There's a concern. In many beach areas, it's darned near impossible to get insurance for flooding due to hurricanes, etc. The people I know who live in such areas spend more on insurance per month than on their mortgage payment. Kind of makes the price average out then.

Comment

The next big hot spot?

Originally posted by brian View Post
          Hmm...maybe the Nertherlands is the next big hot property spot?

Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but I've always been concerned about flood risks - Hull, where I used to live, had areas of the town under sea level - so I'd think flood risk issues would also have to be a concern somewhere like the Netherlands as well.
          I have just come back from the Red Sea looking at a fantastic new complex with 15 five star hotels, a sunken city for divers, its own coral reef, a brand new pier, fabulous beaches, four golf courses and a world class marina. This has to be the next Dubai yet is only five hours from the UK. Add to this no rain for 12 years, 365 days of annual sunshine, no purchase tax, no inheritance tax and no capital gains.....0h and property costs start at just 17,600 sterling for a 50m2 studio. This has to be worth a punt..

Comment

i dont want you to think iam spaming here. but i think it would be interesting for you to look at our website about central portugal, it gives information on living, working and buying property in central portugal. just for an idea of whats available and at what prices etc. we bought an old ruined farmhouse near Tomar, working on rebuilding at the moment after waiting ages for planning permission.lol
            www.gekkoportugal.com
            A guide to buying property in Portugal
            www.chavetejo.com
            INCI Estate Agents, AMI 7856

Comment

I am amazed sometimes at the price difference. I have heard that Thailand is a very good place to buy a house. You get alot for your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Mitry View Post
                I have just come back from the Red Sea looking at a fantastic new complex with 15 five star hotels, a sunken city for divers, its own coral reef, a brand new pier, fabulous beaches, four golf courses and a world class marina. This has to be the next Dubai yet is only five hours from the UK. Add to this no rain for 12 years, 365 days of annual sunshine, no purchase tax, no inheritance tax and no capital gains.....0h and property costs start at just 17,600 sterling for a 50m2 studio. This has to be worth a punt..
                And in 20 years it will be a burnt out desert due to climate change! The savy punter should start looking now at where the best places to live will be in 20 - 50 years, not today. With 4deg temp rise predicted this century (this is probably on the low side) and with seas rising, who would buy anywhere close to sea level in 2007?

Comment

Keep in mind the economy at the current time and the location.. I mean, UK uses the pound anyway

Hm..

Comment

It's a wonder you bother getting out of bed in the morning! The Middle East has been around for thousands of years with the same hot sun and zero rainfall - I don't think its about to become extinct in the next 50 years!

Last edited by brian; 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Good topic

Holland, similar according to my dutch friends whom have just left there is same work ethic uk, weather is just as bad too, not good for hillwalkers (all flat), I lived in Amsterdam, great place good people. The yields and things in Holland would need to be worked out. Investment for yield possible.

Egypt desert and climate change, good point too. Maybe all Florida buyers should be aware! Only buy on hill tops.

Turkey, next door Iraq. mmm. Is it going to come into Europe, it has been trying to get in for 20 years.

I think you have to be logical and rational and think about the reality of the situation. Investments are meant to make you money.

So. Go where there is low little tax. And low little risk.

Thailand, my neighbour married a Thai wife and had a house built for a song 20k sterling or something low for 4 bed villa, thing is you have to integrate with the locals to get good deals.

If I were an investor with 100k sterling to invest, I would look at the numbers.

1. Yield
                      2. Costs, taxes, payouts.
                      3. Risks and Capital appreciation
                      4. Costs of borrowing money and leverage.

Remember it is not easy but is good fun. You learn and you take your money and make it work for you. You will win sometimes and other times you will learn. Maybe if you want to earn good, you should give your money to Warren Buffet and let him invest for you. (Warren Buffett, is 2nd richest man in the world and has made his money from investing.) ie. Give it to him he has good track record.

Last edited by brian; 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM.

Comment

reading through these posts peter mitry was on a good thing, that sunken city that is now half finished and them 17,000 pound apartments are now 60,000. somepeople out there got a good investment,
                        sahl hasheesh is beautiful, a certain idea of paradise forms in my head.

Comment

To be honest I would love to move to somewhere like the Netherlands but having said that I really should try out buying here first myself! It is a nightmare scenario at the mo, house prices are pretty low, the interest rate can only go one way from now onwards. I have money to put down.........but no property to suit!!

Comment

Working...
                          X