Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barratt Homes takes six months after completion to sign transfer - why

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barratt Homes takes six months after completion to sign transfer - why

Normally when a house sale is completed the buyer's solicitor sends the signed transfer document to the Land Registry to register the sale. In my experience a good solicitor does this within a few days of the completion. On my recent purchase of a new home from Barratt Homes I asked my solicitor, three days after completion, whether she had applied for registration. She said she hadn't, because she had not yet received the signed transfer. I was astonished: how could a sale be completed without a signature from the seller? She assured me that I did own the property, and explained that completion without signature is quite common in cash sales of new builds, but on sales involving a mortgage the lender insists on a signed transfer before they come up with the money.

Barratt did eventually come up with a signed transfer, six months after completion.

Can anyone explain to me why builders are allowed to complete a sale without signature, and why on earth Barratt Homes could possibly take six months to provide a signature? I was in dispute with Barratt's over poor build quality, and I know that they blocked me from taking the NHBC 8 week survey, presumably because they knew I would give a bad report. I can only think that they delayed signing the transfer to punish me for complaining. Any comments?
Working...
X