Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does steal frame development compared to Bricks & mortor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does steal frame development compared to Bricks & mortor?

Hi all...

continuing my investigation into the development of 5-6 apartments, I have been trying to find out if there are any benefits to developing large buildings (large = bigger than an average house) using steal frame, as oppose to using bricks and mortor.

Does anyone here know the cost differences between the two, and if there are any benefits to constructing a steal frame?

I have seen this done at many locations before over the years, but i dont know if there are any cost advantages using this method over building with bricks and mortor. Obviously there would need to be some bricks used for the external but not as many, so assuming a reduction in cost!

As the particular area is a high risk flood area, a steal frame also carries some advantages here also... however, wanting to sell the property (land with pp), the build, land, and resale price need to present an attractive propersition...

Any help would be gratefully receive, as D-Day is fast approaching... tomorrow in fact! lol

Re: How does steal frame development compared to Bricks & mortor?

It just rusts instead of rots as with Timber Frame.
    Seriously, house builders have enough trouble trying to gte basic brick block construction right. What hope is there with anything that is new to them.
    I remember it being trialled about 15 years ago and it was a nightmare.
    Nothing lined up, nothing was plumb and level, door frames didn't fit etc.
    Unlike wood a carpenter cant "adjust" a steel frame.
    As for flats, noise would be another issue.

Seriously, if you have to ask, you should not be developing, leave it to those that do know what they are doing
    BRAND NEW HOMES
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
    X