Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Architects fees - how much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Architects fees - how much?

Hi people...

Has anyone got any guidance as to how architects fees are calculated? I recently read an article which stated they were typically 5-6% of the final build costs.

I was under the impression a standard 2-3 bed house was around £1500, but e.g. a £100k home at 5% would mean architects fee of £5k... is that correct?

I was hoping to aquire a piece of land to build 5-6 appartments on, with a guesstimated build cost of £290k. At a max 6% the architects fees would be £18k... thats a massive bite into any potental profits!

Has anyone got any experience / knowledge of working with architects, who can shed some light on the subject?

Any help, advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Architects fees - how much?

I guess you get what you pay for. There are architects and architects. If you want to get a name who does your house than you will have to pay more than 5-6%. I would suggest to try out the new modern ideas from new architects. Some can be cheap and really good.
    Log Cabins | Eco Homes
    e-mail: [email protected]
    Tel: 028 8289 7617

Comment

There is a lot of good and not expensive architects. It's better to pay more than have a problems, at all.

Comment

Hi,

My name's Ben and I'm an architect based in Surrey. I would usually charge approximately 5% for a full service based on what you've guesstimated at 290k. I would suggest that you speak to the architect to find out what services are included within their fee and tailor it to meet your requirements as at times you may not need the entire service. This would bring the figure down from the original % quote you are given at the start. Feel free to message me if you need any support / architectural work.

Ben

Comment

Think it depends on the company and area to be honest. London fees will be more than 5% but bigger companies do tend to charge more.
          Chelsea
          www.affordable-removers.co.uk

Comment

It really depends on the area!
            I would suggest looking into architecture students or fellows! You can find very good ones that are fighting their way into the market and are just amazing! It takes some time though

Comment

Working...
            X