Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on converting a share of freehold flat into 2 flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on converting a share of freehold flat into 2 flats

Hi, I've been doing some general property renovation over the last couple of years, but am considering a slightly larger project next up.

The property i'm thinking of buying is a large two double bedroom flat which could easily be converted into two x 1 bed flats.

I'm aware that there will be various council requirements involving planning permission and building controll, but am confident I can handle that unless there's anything in particular I need to be aware of?

I'm more concerned however about the other owners in the building. It's a large period conversion with currently 5 flats all of which have a share of the freehold. Could the other owners in theory oppose the development to the point that I couldn't proceed? Obviously an extra share of the freehold would need to be created, so would I need 100% agreement from the other share of freeholders, or a majority? Any other obstacles in this situation?

Any advice very much welcome.

Jon
Working...
X