Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a builder use my house to advertise other developments with my permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a builder use my house to advertise other developments with my permission

Hi, I bought my Barratts home approx 3 years ago now. I have just seen our local paper and they are advertising a new development, about 5 miles away, using my house (the one incidently that we saw when we bought the house) to advertise this development. Underneath the picture it states the address of the new development, which is untrue and also no where on the advert is there an * advising that this is not an actual property. 1st question, can they do this, surely it is misselling/miss-advertising; 2nd question can I complain and request a fee for using my house to advertise new developments. Surely they can't do this without my consent.

note - title above should read "without my permission"
    Any ideas.

Many thanks.

Re: Can a builder use my house to advertise other developments with my permission

I'm not so sure that there's anything wrong in what they are doing although I'm not a legal expert so the following is just my personal thoughts for you to consider.....

Firstly, the copyright of the image that they are using belongs to them (the copyright of any photograph, no matter what the subject, always belongs to the photographer and not the owner of any property depicted in it) and at the time of the picture being taken you were not the owner of the property so my guess is that they didn't need to ask your permission to take the picture and therefore don't need your permission to reproduce it for any purpose.

Secondly, although the house is not actually on the development that is being advertised the picture is no doubt only being used to illustrate the type and design of a typical property that might be available when the development is complete rather than purporting to be an actual house that is available. If the new development is just a building site then the builders commonly use an artists impression or other image to show an example of the finished product rather than using a picture of a muddy field to advertise the properties.

I guess it would have been good practice for them to have a footnote stating that the image shown is for illustration purposes only and didn't represent an actual property on the site, but so long as they are not publishing your address or in any other way implying that the property that you now own and live in is on the market for sale then I don't see how you are being disadvantaged by their actions and therefore I am unsure what it is you would like compensating for.

It might be worthwhile posting this question in the solicitors / legal forum to get an opinion from someone who may know differently.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

Re: Can a builder use my house to advertise other developments with my permission

I think IFA has got this onw just about right.
      It is their photo and anyone can take a photo of anyone else's house from a public area, with or without the owner's permission.

If they are misleading prospective buyers then there may be a case under the Property Misdescriptions act 1992.

From your point of view ther is nothing you can do.
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Pretty sure they are allowed to use your picture as they are the ones who would own the copyright, if the houses they are selling are the same design as yours then the picture isn`t misleading, if it bothers you lots you could ask them not to, but dont think you can make them.

Comment

Working...
        X