Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastering Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastering Problems

Hi Folks, first time poster on the Forum but need some help.

I have a problem with the Plastering in my House whereby various Areas of the Skim Finish to Masonry Walls throughout the House are boast and have become detached. There does not appear to be any Key between the Base Scratch Coat and the Skim Coat. There are also Areas throughout the House where the Plaster is extremely poorly finished and uneven.

Unfortunately the Developer is now in Administration however the House is only 3 Years old and is covered by an NHBC Warranty.

If anyone has come across similar Problems before I would appreciate any advice especially from Plasterers who will probably have come across this before.

Re: Plastering Problems

Afraid am not a plasterer, so can't help in that regard - however, the NHBC warranty only covers structural issues after 2 years - ie, unless there's an issue with your property threatening to collapse, the NHBC won't get involved.

Comment

Ignore Brian, it is always worth a letter to the NHBC.
      They may have had other cases from the same builder and identified what he did was not to the NHBC standards.

It sounds like the blockwork was not wetted before plaster was applied.
      The base coat should be scratched to provide a key as well.
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Hi, I read your reply about the NHBC. Would you be able to give me some advice on my property. My house is just 3 years old, when we moved in first I noticed the driveway started to crack and subside. I immediately reported it to the builder. He came out and inspected it. He said it was just minor and wouldnt get any worse. However it started getting worse so i rang him again and he came out, he then told me all of the 12 houses in my estate were subsiding and needed the driveway fixed. He said he would do them all together. I have been on at him for the past 3 years,he kept saying to relax and that they will all get sorted together. Then Jan 2012 just gone work started on the properties on my estate, except mine. I was told to contact NHBC and they said its in the 3 years and Driveways are not covered unless I had reported it to the bulder within the first 2 years. The builder said he never heard from me, I have phone records to prove that I have rang him but the NHBC doesnt want to know. Would you have any advise as what we could do next?

Thanks,
        Brian.

Comment

Hi AFRO10!

Well it's sad to know that for a 3 year old house, the plasters are already uneven and detached. It's either the workmanship was poorly done or there was a problem with mixing of the materials. You see, a bad mix can cause a big problem and this is more difficult to repair. Have you checked if you have moisture problem, because this can be a factor too. If you think you have a major plastering problem then it's unfortunate you have to correct the job. For uneven and unattractive plasters quick fix would be decorative painting or wallpaper. Your pick!

Comment

Plastering is a dying art and most new homes are drylined and jointed.
            Maybe this would expalin the low quality and why your housebuilder went bust!
            BRAND NEW HOMES
            Information for UK new home buyers
            New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

That's a bit of a weird attitude from the builder - why would he not want the additional work of your drive along with all the others? If you have proof that you reported it to the builder within 2 years then the NHBC haven't got a leg to stand on. I'd keep hassling them until they speak to you about it. Otherwise, I'd speak wit ha solicitor.

Comment

Working...
              X