Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legally separating a shop into 3 properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legally separating a shop into 3 properties

I have a shop on a highstreet that I have been renting out for years however since the previous tenant retired I have had trouble renting it out as a whole so I have an idea to divide it into three and maybe try to rent out or sell each one (there appears to be a great appetite for small affordable shops/office units in my area).

So my question really is, for the purpose of selling, would it be possible to divide the title into three ensuring the shop becomes 3 legal separate properties each with their own title and address etc? They would each have their own front on the street.

Many thanks

Re: Legally separating a shop into 3 properties

Address - go and talk tot he Post Office/Council about what addresses you can use.

Title - when you have a buyer or potential lessee you solicitors prepare a contract with a plan/draft lease with a plan showing only the area in question to be sold/leased. Then up to buyer's solicitor to obtain separate title for freehold/lease from land Registry.

As far as title is concerned you do not have to do anything beforehand!
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: Legally separating a shop into 3 properties

Thanks Richard,

I had envisaged a long drawn out process with a property solicitor!

Comment

Working...
      X