Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you deal with that awkward customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you deal with that awkward customer

I have recently priced for some work for a new customer she got my number from one of my clients whose house i remodeled,

This lady wants walls knoked down new boiler, patio doors fitted the works.
    I gave her a quote, she accepted.

Then she asks for a reference so i provided.

She then checks this reference, the referer then validated the reference saying that they were very happy with the work i did and would recomend me to anyone.

Next she ask's them if she can come round and have a look at the work, but they say no.

Now she wants to come round my house and see the work that i have done and i refusee her.

She is fair to be cautious after all you need to trust who you hire, but she is showing all the signs of being a nightmare customer who will pick at every thing, so now i dont want the job as i have had these types before, and well lifes just to short for this.

what are your views?
    www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Re: how do you deal with that awkward customer

People pay - so the customer is always right!
    What are you affraid of, doing a bad job and getting caught out or is some of the work beyond your skill base?

You should have asked your referee if it was alright if one or two customers could view your work in return for a small discount or not charging for an extra.

Do you only have one satisfied customer?

Chuck-a-trade is also not the answer.

BRAND NEW HOMES
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Originally posted by New Homes Expert View Post
      People pay - so the customer is always right!
      What are you affraid of, doing a bad job and getting caught out or is some of the work beyond your skill base?

You should have asked your referee if it was alright if one or two customers could view your work in return for a small discount or not charging for an extra.

Do you only have one satisfied customer?

Chuck-a-trade is also not the answer.

Perhaps you and your customer should have a look at my choosing a tradesman checklist.
      No No i am most definately not affraid,
      I have never done a bad job and there is not much that was beyond my skill base afteral i served under some of the finest in my area during my apprentiship many many years ago,
      Then worked my way up through a bespoke house builder who specialized in million pound propertys so my standards are very high.
      I always check with past customers if its ok to use them as a referee, and with this particular referer i did also they had no issue, they just did not want a stranger to visit their private home.
      For the record i have had more than one satisfied custommer, in fact my whole business was based on recommendations only, and i did very very well.
      My meaning to the post was how would Trades in general deal with these types of customers,
      Ii have had some who just get involed with every thing before its finished and it drives you mad but once the job is done they have been over the moon with the results,
      I no longer do this work, as i wanted a better work /family balance i am now the Owner of TradesMans Choice, a price comparison website for the trade and diy'er, but my reputation as a tradesman still holds weight in my area and i still have people asking me to do work for them so i sub contract it out if i want to get involed.

Comment

I am a bit confused!
        You say you no longer do this work yet in your first post you say you priced the job!
        As you have a good reputation surely you could give lots of references.

Some customers are awkward and want to be involved at all stages.
        If you are professional and have a pride in what you do, they will learn to trust the expert quite quickly in my opinion.
        BRAND NEW HOMES
        Information for UK new home buyers
        New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

your right to be confused lol, i do still price work but now my new business is is taking up more and more of my time i dont do the work any more unless i have to, if i get work through i will pass it on to some one else whom i have worked with before and just oversee the job taking a small cut, i can provide many references, but this particular customer onl wanted one and when i offered more she said that wont be needed.

Comment

I sometimes have the same problem, in as much as in my business the customer is committing to buy an item before seeing the exact finished article. (I make custom made house signs)....I'm with you on this one, life's too short to encourage hassle. I take the view, that if a customer is really giving you grief before he's parted with his money, he is likely to be worse when he's handed over his cash....thankfully it's a rare occurrence though

Comment

If she is being awkward at this stage ,imagine how she will be when it comes to paying. The beauty is you don't have to take on anyones work if you dont want to. If it were me knowing what I know now I would just walk away even if she puts all the money up for the building materials.You may end up working there for free. Good luck.

Comment

I understand that she want's to be sure that the service will be good and the company is reliable, it's her right to do so. But if she go the number from some other client that obviously didn't complain, she should have a bit more confidence, that the service is good.

Comment

People are different. and customers are different... Some of them can be really awkward. If you don't want to work for this person, you have right to refuse. I understand you.

Comment

I agree that you shouldnt give a reference if the customer is not okay for a customer to come and have a look

Comment

id politeley decline the job.
                      sounds like one of these right awkward ones that end up changing there mind and getting lots of extras that ciome out of your own pocket.
                      http://www.facebook.com/hendersonpaving

www.jhendersongroundworks.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Trades MASTER View Post
                        your right to be confused lol, i do still price work but now my new business is is taking up more and more of my time i dont do the work any more unless i have to, if i get work through i will pass it on to some one else whom i have worked with before and just oversee the job taking a small cut, i can provide many references, but this particular customer onl wanted one and when i offered more she said that wont be needed.
                        Do you not have any photos of any of the work that you have done, so that she can see it ?
                        A local photographer would help if you don't want to do this yourself, or don't have time.
                        Even a happy customer might send you some before and after photos.
                        A signed written testimony would help too, to prove your quality of work.

It bothers me that you sell your services and then will substitute with another - all because you want a 'cut', but why not just be honest and tell her that you no longer have the time, but you can recommend this person, 'X'. It might be seen as dishonest to sell one level of quality and then provide another to do the work as you don't have the time if it goes wrong to rectify it. If you were in attendance and paying close attention daily to the work then that would be different but that is not what you have said ... or implied. HTH.
                        She is already nervous, substituting will do nothing to improve her concerns, so she is likely to be even more picky. Not a time to ignore those concerns but to put her at ease and ensure she is a happy client to start with and make sure all the way through the project that everything meets her standards.

Comment

Working...
                        X