Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New home designs suck!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New home designs suck!

I went around a few new developments yesterday and the designs are just awful!

Charles Church in particular.
    A study on the second floor was just a room too small to be called a bedroom.

One home design didnt have a dining room, just a lounge on the floor above the kitchen!

In another guests in the lounge would either have to use the downstairs WC or go throught he master bedroom to use the en suite!

In another the window in the Lounge was just 3 feet wide!
    BRAND NEW HOMES
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views

Re: New home designs suck!

I would have to agree with you.

Despite thin walls and generally smaller dimensions, I am a I real big fan of new builds. I like the fact that they are a total blank canvass and the clean brick and smooth straight lines really appeal to me. Oh, and the fact that there are no skeletons in the closet, both literally and figuratively.

The latest designs to come off architects drawing boards are a little disappointing for me. Too much emphasis is placed on open plan these days. I know that this is seen as a space saving concept but I don’t really want to be relaxing on the sofa watching tv with the kitchen sink in the corner of my eye.

Just a personal opinion.

Comment

Now open plan from a developers point of view is a cost saving god.
      But new build's no matter who they are built by are well !! lets just say they are terrible, we have all seen it, a new development pops up clean exterior walls, beachwood clad detail, Neatly laid gardens, They look clean, they look appealing.......For the first few years then the whole development looks like a slum.

New builds have no unique factors about them they are all built the same, identical, to keep the costs for the developers down. And worst of all is the layouts and paper thin walls, i will take a period house any day, in fact my first house was a new build i brought it when i was 18 since every house that i brought has been older and older my current house was built in 1826 it has more space than i will ever need, And was built so solidly that it will still be here in another 200 years,The craftsmanship that went in to building it is well, mind blowing, They took pride in there work, Because thats what they were like in them day's they were Carftsmen they spent years in an apprentiship then more years becoming master in there trade, Nowadays with goverments and all, A few days, weeks or months is all you need to train to be classed as a tradesman with the most basic of skills, No wonder we have so many cowboys here A one day plastering course and you to can go out there and rip of some poor old lady. It a shame that the true skills of good tradesmen are being judged by everyone , Cowboys and poor newbuilds is our legacy to the next generation.
      Last edited by Trades MASTER; 12-07-2011, 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
      www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

I cant argue with any of the above. Although I wouldn't say every new development turns into a slum.

As I said, just a personal choice. Older properties do come with character and charm I grant you, but also come with their own unique set of problems too. And yes, they will still be here in 200 years time, but I wont be so that’s not really an issue when I am looking for a house.

Comment

Ok slum was a bit harsh but they do lose there youthfull looks and start to look tired, they just dont age well,
          And another reason for the mass production effect with them all looking similar in there own development is agin down to the goverment, for every new devlopment the developer has to contribute to the local infastructure, so there goes the main mans profit, so with a uniform project ,cheap materials and cheap labour he can just about squeaze out profit, ive seen it done i worked as a finishing foreman for a bespoke house builder for 12 years and althouh the houses we built were for the higher end eo the property market, i would never buy one, i have seen them being built, its a bit like seeing a big greasey sweaty spoty fastfood worker making your tea, do you realy want to eat it!

Comment

I have really started a discussion here!

There are loads of disadvantages of new homes and few advantages.

I would agree that the quality is pretty bad, it is not as if they dont have the time to do a good job at the moment.

Most sites are also very cramped and have social housing mixed in with the owner occupiers!
            BRAND NEW HOMES

Comment

Damm your right there, Social housing mixed in with private housing just does'nt work lets face it most people by there own house too get away from the council estates,, I know developers have to now allocate x amount of house's flats for social housing base on the number of plots they have and there is a lot of pressure from govements for this but it makes you wonder WHY did the councils sell off a huge amounts of houses, flats, When they are now in such a shortage, simple they wanted money, money to invest in bad investements ( remember the losses they made in icleand) , So they sell off there stock, use some of our hard earned counciltax money and invest then loose, then big brv here puts the squeez on the developer to allocate socila housing on what should be a private development. How i love this Country
              Last edited by Trades MASTER; 14-07-2011, 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You are at work earning money to pay your tax, and council tax which is then used to pay THEIR housing benefit.
                BRAND NEW HOMES

Comment

So So true, Why do we go to work again????

Comment

Because the food is better in WAITROSE than it is in ICELAND!
                    BRAND NEW HOMES

Comment

Yep thats it you got it!!!

Comment

Waitrose ove iceland any day

Comment