Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current status of Barratt Homes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current status of Barratt Homes

Hi all,

I am looking into Barratt's new development, St Andrews by Bromley-by-Bow, close to the 2012 Olympic Park.

I've heard some nasty stories about Barratt homes, that their build quality is shocking and best to be avoided.

These stories seem a few years old, I was wondering if they have improved since?

Thanks

Re: Current status of Barratt Homes

Barrat homes aren't one of the better home builders, from our experience. If it was me I'd look elsewhere, some of the materials they use are of poor quality.

Comment

Originally posted by tonynz View Post
      Hi all,

I am looking into Barratt's new development, St Andrews by Bromley-by-Bow, close to the 2012 Olympic Park.

I've heard some nasty stories about Barratt homes, that their build quality is shocking and best to be avoided.

These stories seem a few years old, I was wondering if they have improved since?

Thanks
      Their finishing can be pretty poor, but there are a couple of pros and cons to be aware of:

1. The first properties on the estate tend to be worse - later on, any problems have generally been ironed out

2. If you are buying a new build (brand new), then Barratts must fix any problems you raise with them during the first two years - after that, only structural defects.

I'm in a Barratts home and there were issues - specifically that the original owners who had it the first 4 years never had fixed - but it's a nice house, nice location, nice size plot, so am not complaining. More finishing problems than anything else.

Comment

First of all Barratts win a lot (the most) NHBC quality awards. But then they have the most number of active sites too.

Barratts have a terrible reputation in the industry. Their new homes are generally very poor quality and their Site management are treated very badly, given tough, near impossible targets.

I heard from a kitchen fitter once that he pointed out to the Site Manager that the extractor fan was not connected and no electrical provision had been made.
        The site manager said just fit the f***ing kitchen and we'll let customer care sort it out after they move in!

Nuff said AVOID THEM and by the way David Wilson Homes are Barratt under a different name!

Last edited by New Homes Expert; 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM.
        BRAND NEW HOMES
        Information for UK new home buyers
        New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
        X