Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

converting without planning consent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting without planning consent!

Hi All

I want to convert a maisonette into 2 self contained flats but do not want to go through planning permission as I have done it once in the past and had to give up parking rights and pay all manner of costs relating to section 106 agreement. I notice others on the street have done conversions without planning permission and then had permission granted retrospectively after 4 years. How would I go about doing this and what proof do I need that the conversion has been done for 4 years. If I did it witout planning permission but wanted to use council building control would the building control dept inform planning? I would also need an extra council tax account would the council tax dept be likely to inform planning dept.

Thanks

Blewitt

Re: converting without planning consent!

You need to apply for material change of use, if you don't and you let the house out you may lay yourself open if problems occur during the tenancy. 106's are for developments not flat conversions. For the little it would cost you to get planning consent it doesn't seem worth taking risks for 4 years and in any case BC will probably cross ref with the planning dept.

Comment

I would wonder about insurance implications. Would your public liability be valid on a technically illegal development?

Comment

I'll agree with all before me in saying that you are asking for trouble, be it during your ownership or when you come to sell it in the future.
        Don't.

Comment

Originally posted by cadplan View Post
          You need to apply for material change of use, if you don't and you let the house out you may lay yourself open if problems occur during the tenancy. 106's are for developments not flat conversions. .
          You are wrong. New rules mean that all changes are to be assessed under a new Community Infrastructure Levy.

It is already causing problems as councils use it as a way of raising revenue.
          BRAND NEW HOMES
          Information for UK new home buyers
          New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Originally posted by blewitt View Post
            Hi All

I want to convert a maisonette into 2 self contained flats but do not want to go through planning permission as I have done it once in the past and had to give up parking rights and pay all manner of costs relating to section 106 agreement. I notice others on the street have done conversions without planning permission and then had permission granted retrospectively after 4 years. How would I go about doing this and what proof do I need that the conversion has been done for 4 years. If I did it witout planning permission but wanted to use council building control would the building control dept inform planning? I would also need an extra council tax account would the council tax dept be likely to inform planning dept.

Thanks

Blewitt
            You would be absolutley crazy to do this without proper planning permission.
            All you would save is a few quid in fees and a bit of hassle. You will need planning in the end and what would you do if they issued an enforcement notice on you to change it back? eh? Go on what would you do then?

They WILL find out, either via another department or by a neighbour informing them.
            BRAND NEW HOMES
            Information for UK new home buyers
            New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Its simple, do it the right way new leg comes and goes but the planners will always catch you, then you will be in the poop!
              get permission aslo contact your morgate company because they may have a big problem with this, and also get legal advise too , if you dont do it right you will be paying out a load more, and the planers may also put a enforcement on you to turn the property back to its origional form.

I thinks you are mad
              www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

Hello,

The Community Infrastrucutre Levy does not effect you.. yet. If you do require full info on this and how it would affect you once implemented please do not hesitate to ask.

S106's can be used for 'restrictions' and in most cases now, any new dwelling is an intensification on the area / requires S106 payments in most lpa's.

It is best to go forward with the correct route 'get full planning consent', if you need any advice S106 wise, please do not hesiate to contact me - be it general restrictive nature or payment of S106 contributions. There is always a way of reducing the 'liability' on yourself.

Best wishes,

TW Isadore

Comment

Working...
                X