Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redrow houses in Scotland with frozen water pipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redrow houses in Scotland with frozen water pipes

Hi folks,

We live in a 3 year old Redrow house in Scotland which for the second winter has suffered from frozen hot and cold water pipes. The problem is widespread in the estate and varies according to house type. Typically the "Parrett" style has frozen pipes to the utility room and downstairs toilet. This is with a well heated house (programmer on continuous) and outside temperatures down to -5degC. I can find no specific requirements that allow me to get round Redrow's "ah well, it's exceptional conditions" excuse. A neighbour has tackled NHBC on this issue and got laughable responses.

Is this a local problem, or has Redrow got a wider problems?

Are there speciifc requirements that we might find they have breached - Scotland has requirements fdifferent from England?

Thanks.

Re: Redrow houses in Scotland with frozen water pipes

I'm not aware of any more widespread issues, but if you can get evidence that the problem is particular to the house NOT the particular place that you live, then you might be in with a chance.
    Bad credit mortgages

Comment

Got to say that as a Scottish landlord I have never had so many winges about frozen pipes. Going to be a heck of a winter - going to get a plumbing qulaification too!!

Robin

Comment

Have you looked into extra insulation for the affected pipes?

Comment

Originally posted by Scottie View Post
          Hi folks,

We live in a 3 year old Redrow house in Scotland which for the second winter has suffered from frozen hot and cold water pipes. The problem is widespread in the estate and varies according to house type. Typically the "Parrett" style has frozen pipes to the utility room and downstairs toilet. This is with a well heated house (programmer on continuous) and outside temperatures down to -5degC. I can find no specific requirements that allow me to get round Redrow's "ah well, it's exceptional conditions" excuse. A neighbour has tackled NHBC on this issue and got laughable responses.

Is this a local problem, or has Redrow got a wider problems?

Are there speciifc requirements that we might find they have breached - Scotland has requirements fdifferent from England?

Thanks.
          It was an exceptionally frozen spell in December - in case you hadn't noticed, there were huge problems with frozen pipes across Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Comment

If you are on about external waste pipes then try upgrading to a larger diameter, i.e. 22mm to 32mm or even 42mm. Or try using closed cell foam lagging, its a bit dearer but pay dividends in the end.

We get a lot of calls in the winter to calls where they boiler has shut of and making 'knocking' sounds. Normally is the condenser waste pipe freezing due to poor (but legal) fitting.

Comment

You should write to Redrow and get them to do something about this.
              You may also write to the NHBC under the Builmark Warranty.

You could also make a post on new homes forums too letting new home buyers know how unhelpful Redrow are when you have a problem.

Some NHBC and some building regulations are different in Scotland. needless to say that a coldish winter is not an exuse for poor quality and low specifications!
              BRAND NEW HOMES
              Information for UK new home buyers
              New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
              X