Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council Tax Completion Notices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Completion Notices

Council Tax on new dwellings - Completion Notices. A change in regulations is needed!

WHY are we being taxed before we have made any money?!!! Especially when we are not using the services this tax is meant for. Why let them walk all over our industry. This is an unjust tax.

Are you a house builder or thinking of building or converting, this will affect you in the future.

I am currently involved in a project of renovating an old hotel and new builds into 21 apartments. My local council have issued Completion Notices on all of these apartments even though they have not been signed off yet by Planning or Building Regs. Also the gas, water and electric services are not yet completed. In the Valuation Office Council Tax Manual, it actually states that an owner of a dwelling under construction might, to avoid Council Tax, choose to leave it not quite complete until a sale has been agreed. But the Government have come up with a procedure to prevent this. As a builder I find this quite insulting. Who are they to say when a builder should be finished with a building project? Council Tax is for services, confirmed by our sitting MP, that this is the case. How can these empty properties be using any services when they are not occupied because of the economic circumstances caused by the Government and Banks? How can we pay tax for something when we have not made any money on it? How can they justify charging builders this tax? Especially when we create their perpetual wealth for their salaries which in many cases are more than ours!

This seems to be happening all over the country and I assume that small builders just do as they say and pay the taxes. As they cannot afford to fight the Council over it, alone. I am refusing to borrow money to pay a tax.

I am trying to drum up some support from building associations and builders such as yourselves to get this law over turned. I believe that no one should have to work under these pressures, I have had to appeal against the Councils decision to issue me with completion notices and this is all on mind whilst I am trying to work. If any Government member was made to work under these stressful conditions they would be off work on sick leave on full pay!

I am sure we all want to sell ASAP we certainly do not want to pay bank loan interests a day longer than necessary so why are we being punished with Council Tax when 1. We do not use any services on empty buildings and 2. We do not create the failed economy. Our profits if any are far more fair and reasonable that those of Banks, why let the Government continue to punish us! What other business pays tax before earning an income? These parasites live on our backs. Bureaucrats have too much power, stand together and fight to force change. I for one am prepared to go to prison for none payment.

Alternatively if you can afford to pay Council Tax for all your empty properties, give me a loan! 0%!!!

Support us now – we will collate them and send to the Government for a change in the law. Alternatively please complain direct yourself to the MP.

Please also pass this on to any builders/building companies that you know of.

Re: Council Tax Completion Notices

It is that the communal services are not meant to be taxed. Taxing times come one step ahead our profit. When council runs out of budget we are to pay upfront which makes them go always ahead of us; before we make money - they are already spending!

Comment

Working...
    X