Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propoosal Two storey extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propoosal Two storey extension

I live in a semi detached house there is a line of us all down the road. All the same.
    My neighbour who is not attached to my house wants to build a 2 storey extension on the side of their house which means their extension will come up to our boundary. This means we will have no privacy at all
    Is this possible for them to do it? We will of course object to the Planning Committee but are just interested if this can be done legally.
    Any advice would be helpfull.
    Thank You

Re: Propoosal Two storey extension

As long as they get Planning (and Building Regulations) approval (which is required) then they can do it legally. There may be other considerations that they should address however. They may need you to agree to a Party Wall Agreement, see:
    communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/partywall (sorry, tried to put the full link to this document but the system tells me I can't post links)
    They shouldn't overhang your boundary at all, even with the gutters so, they should keep their side wall back from the boundary by around 300mm unless they construct it so they have a parapet wall with a concealed gutter behind it.
    Cheers,
    Nick

Comment

First of all thank you Nick.

I have been informed of a right of light under common law.
      I/e A development/builder may be prevented due to a Right Of Light,even if planning permission has been granted by the local Authority.
      This will indeed block about 50% of light and to the windows where as we have had unobstructed light for over 20 years.
      (The building regs,. are endless.)
      Thank you.

Comment

Nick the link you tried to send me(Or part there of) i downloaded it.It came up with all the regulations for the party wall ect,.
        Again many thanks for your time.

Comment

Extension is likely to be granted and your privacy will be screened off by side elevation brick wall which, by regulations, will not have any windows facing your side. - that is privacy granted by council to neighbour.

Comment

Working...
          X