Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooops didn't get building regs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooops didn't get building regs

I am selling my house, bought in 1984. In 1986 we did a kitchen/morning room "knock through" with RSJ, new patio door, a window blocked... Being young and foolish we didn't get planning consent or building regs consent. i don't even know if planning consent was necesary. Now I have to fill in the questionnaire for the HIP and it asks if these were obtained. What is the worst that could happen? I presume a prospective purchaser could demand that the council is consulted re the work, though I could refuse (of course i would lose the sale)? Could I be required to undo the work? I have no reason to think it isn't structurally sound, but I am not a building regs expert... My ex-husband thinks I should just not mention the work, implying (not stating) that it was done before we bought the house, but I am not comfortable with that...
    What would you do??

Re: Ooops didn't get building regs

I would recommend silence!
    Since the council would require new regulations be applied to what had been done to your property. You will end up paying fees and, time - which is very important when you sell property. Many houses alike 1984 had structural alterations without building control as it was not as strict as it is now.

Comment

Many thanks for the replies. So far no-one viewing has made a big deal about this. BUT that could be because no offers have got as far as the contract stage, probably for reasons athat are not structural...

Comment

I built a Loft Conversion in my last house and because I had no headroom, I was unable to put a sub-floor down, so I went ahead anyway, as I had lots of kids and when I sold it I had to get a letter from the planning office to state that the property could be classified as a four bedroom house, thankfully I had converted the house over 8 years before the sale and so no records were available and we were thankful to get the full asking price for the four bedroom place instead of losing almost 12k if it had been three bedroom.

Danzo

Comment

Silence is goldne and HIPS has been scrapped so we are all safe in our modified houses!

Comment

MW234 thats not entirely true, if it does get picked up then expect lots of hassle from the local authority, if the work required planning permission you'll need to apply for it retrospectively, and have it signed off by the council.

But with the OP situation it was over 25 years ago, they'll be fine.

Comment

Silence is not golden!

You will have failed to inform your buyer of a material fact that affects the value of the property. Your Estate Agent could also be breach the property misdescriptions Act 1992 if he knows about this.

Either way both sets of solicitors will require you to sign a form and if you dont state the truth you will have trouble.

Planning permission probably isnt required, but as this was a major structural alteration Building Control Aprroval will be.

GET IT DONE BEFORE YOU MARKET
              BRAND NEW HOMES
              Information for UK new home buyers
              New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
              X