Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving a listed building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a listed building

Hello. I wondered if anyone had ever had any experience of/come accross moving a listed building (Grade II listing) to somewhere else on the plot. The building in question is an oak-frame barn and only the skeleton of the barn remains. It is stuck right in the corner of a large plot and I would like to move it to sit more centrally. Does anyone know generally how an application to carefully dismantle and reassemble the barn would be viewed? Would this be viewed as completely out of the question?Many thanks for your help.

Re: Moving a listed building

Try contacting your local council, without giving specifics, and put this to them as a general question - best way of gauging their view on this.

Comment

I agree with TomM123. The Conservation Officer for the local council is a good starting point and can often help you with good advice about how to frame any application to maximise the chance of success. If you do get listed building consent, you might also speak to the VAT man about the cost of moving it. I can't exactly remember the full VAT rules about listed buildings offhand but I think it runs along the general lines of "repairs attract VAT but improvements are VAT-free". Moving the barn to a more attractive setting might just possibly count as an improvement. Good luck.

Comment

Oops, please ignore what I said about VAT and listed buildings. It seems that the Chancellor closed that particular perk in the budget this week. I must have missed it in the welter of good tidings. It's a shame, of course, because it was just about the only tangible benefit available to owners of listed buildings....

Comment

Hi, I have just come across your posting. Funny enough I am thinking about doing exactly the same as you, due to my listed cart lodge being right on the corner of the plot (the walls of the barn is the boundary) on 2 side, one of which butts right onto a concrete stable. I'm in the Devon area. Have you had enjoy joy yet? Any tips or advice?

Comment

Working...
          X