Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it with builders and small gardens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with builders and small gardens?

Why is it that so many new build homes have such tiny gardens?

Okay, the developers are profit driven and smaller gardens means more houses = more profit.

But what I don't get is why people are so attracted to buying new builds with small gardens in the first place?

I'm not talking about the smei's or small detached, but the big detached in the £250,000+ market. I've seen some very big expensive houses, but their gardens were pitiful.

Which beggars my understanding when most of these homes are aimed at the family market, but they go and splash out loads on a home with very little garden for their children to play in?

I thought that the UK was big on grand gardens. Or is that just for the aristocracy? Or, are you talking about yards (actual green lawn) in general?

Comment

Heh, the UK isn't big on gardens, and especially new developments. Certainly if you're pretty rich you can afford to have a few acres, but I agree with Emma - much of the new builds have pretty small gardens.

There's an exclusive new build development on the outskirts of our town
      - the property there much be value in the region of £400,000+. And yet the gardens only look like they cover around 0.25-0.50 acres for the front and back included. Which I think is pretty damn small for that price range.

I've had a developer suggest that small gardens are attractive because it means less maintenance, but I would have thought that the target market was often families, in which case playing space for the kids I should have thought would have been an important selling factor - certainly over maintenance.

2c.

Comment

I don't really get it either. I want room to move around and a big yard for my boys to play in and have the swingset and all that other stuff you get when you have a big yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma S View Post
          Why is it that so many new build homes have such tiny gardens?

Okay, the developers are profit driven and smaller gardens means more houses = more profit.

But what I don't get is why people are so attracted to buying new builds with small gardens in the first place?

I'm not talking about the smei's or small detached, but the big detached in the £250,000+ market. I've seen some very big expensive houses, but their gardens were pitiful.

Which beggars my understanding when most of these homes are aimed at the family market, but they go and splash out loads on a home with very little garden for their children to play in?
          i Have to agree rows of large houses with tiny gardens,so small everyone can see you thrpough the wiondow there is no privacyc

Comment

New developments are a turn off for me because of the lack of outdoor space. I'm sorry but I want some privacy and a proper garden even if it means maintenance. Otherwise why not move into a great flat?

Comment

Privacy is a very good point - sometimes there are areas in a new development where you can get a lot of privacy because of how the houses are angled - had this in the house we previously rented, and even in the one we bought, although on a new estate, has a lot of privacy at present - though they are building some small flats relatively close by that may end up overlooking our property. We've already planted a few trees to help block them from view.

Comment

Do you know yet how tall the flats will be. I hope they aren't taller than your house! Plays hell on that nude sunbathing! LOL.

Comment

They're not that close - still able to sunbathe nude if we want.

Comment

I could never own such a home. I don't see how other people do either. I have four children so this particular thing would be a HUGE necessity.. I would prefer a very large garden and a little smaller house than vise versa.

Comment

For me its all about that thorny compromise between price, house size and land size. I recently purchased a property for development that has a small garden relative to the size of the property, but if it had a large garden I probably could not have afforded to buy it and It would have been snapped up by a developer before I could have organised my finances.
                      Business Mobile Phones - Compare prices of all business mobile phones and tariifs to choose the one to suit you.

Comment

Working...
                      X