Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security issue found after purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security issue found after purchase

Hello,

I recently purchased a converted flat 6 months ago from a developer and moved in. Last week a neighbour brought to my attention a security flaw with all of the flats.

The flats are accessed by a main door which is key-coded. All residents have a code and so do the postal service. Alternatively guests can be buzzed in. Once inside the flat doors are all accessed using a single lock, and each have their own letter box. The security problem is that anyone can put that hand through the letter box, reach round the back of the door and open the lock using the static lock that has been installed.

After discussing it with the developer his only response was that the property was built in line with building regulations (the static locks were requested by the regulators) and that if I wish to make any changes it was my call.

Where do I stand on this? Is there not a responsibility on the developer to provide a safe property? I appreciate that the lock may need to be static, but at least the letter box could be secured so that someone couldn't just reach around.

Either way I'll be securing the flat myself, but just want to know how to respond to the developer.

Cheers

Darren

Re: Security issue found after purchase

The letter box should not be within reach of the lock, it should not be large enough to enable an adult to reach in, common sense really, add additional dead lock, you insurance normally require a 5 lever lock or equivalent [which you don't seem to have] or you contents insurance may not be valid.
    An internal letter box fitted over existing is a quick way to solve immediate problem.
    I would never rely on a single lock to keep out burglar. [the front door constitutes no security at all as far as breaking and entering are concerned.]
    Maybe if all 6 tenants got together you might embarrass the developer to sort it.
    Personally I would have installed lockable letter boxes in hall way and fitted doors with no letter boxes.
    Last edited by foxhole; 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X