Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age restricted property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age restricted property

I have inherited an age restricted detached property but due to complex probate and land registry issues it has been vacant for 21/2 years. During that time it has been vandalised, as locals realise it is unoccupied, although it is alarmed and has security lighting.

What is an asset is becoming rather a millstone! I have the money to refurbish it but am reluctant to spend money when it cannot be occupied and might still be standing vacant if it is difficult to sell to someone of the correct age (or older).

Does anyone have any experience of such a situation?

Not personally but there was a place in my town that seemed like it was cursed. It was flooded, it was the victim of arson, it was broken into time and time again and this is despite having security fencing all around it.

It finally got sorted after almost 10 years work and was rented out. If you can get it up and running fast and then rent it out then it might be viable but if not then you might face a pattern of vandalism.
    Learn How To Plaster
    Run By Plasterers For Plasterers

Comment

These types of property are really hard to shift as finance is incredibly hard to get. You may find one of the "cash fast" property companies would be interested at a price. Just make sure that they are true "cash buyers" as most are not.

Good luck

Comment

Well you have to do something otherwise its just dead money.

Personally I would get the work that needs doing to make it livable done pretty fast, then spend some nights at the property yourself to make it looked lived in while you finish off the rest.
        Free UK Property Investment Seminar

Comment

Re: Age restricted property

The idea is very good!!

Comment

I would suggest that you explore the option of selling the property at auction.

That way, you should acheive a quick, realistic sale price and the millstone is gone.

Take care,

Neil (out of work Conveyancer)

Comment

If one buys an age restricted property, for e.g. retirement, is it legal for it to be occupied by someone below that age?

Comment

I agree with Paul_NM, if I were you I would get the basic done to make it habitable and put it on the market. The longer it sits empty, the more it will cost to refurbish.

Comment

I would sell this at auction and pass the problem on to someone who hasn't done theire research

Comment

I agree, sell it as it is.
                    You will not get any more for it even after refurbishement.
                    Perhaps you could ask the council what would be required to lift the age restriction?
                    BRAND NEW HOMES
                    Information for UK new home buyers
                    New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Agree sell it at auction to a builder who knows what they are doing.

You should still get a reasonable price for the land

Ged
                      http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
                      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X