Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shared loft space in double garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared loft space in double garage

Hi All

First post here but find myself in a rather weird situation. My neighbour and l share a double garage, l own the left had side garage and neighbour owns the right hand side one. The garages have a partition brick wall between them and we both have plastered ceilings.

I wanted to open up the ceiling and get to all the space in the loft area of my garage so l cut through the ceiling only to notice the developer hasn't bricked the partition wall all the way to the top of the garage, it stops at the ceiling height.

I still want to use my loft in my garage and l can't really speak diplomatically to my neighbour about this as we fell out badly a long time back, so any convo of this ilk would be met with suspicion and a swift 'NO' l would think!

However, if l did decide to continue with my loft plans am l breaking any laws or deed agreements? I checked my deeds but they're filled with ambiguity to the average Joe so l can't be sure - they did have a part saying not change and fences or walls, but l can't see my issue relating..? And if l did continue with my plans, remember his garage has a ceiling too so by opening up my ceiling it's not as though l gain access to his property or anything..

My other idea was just to continue opening up loft area then continue bricking the rest of the partition wall myself.. would that solve?

Sorry for the ramblings.. hope they makes sense to someone!!

Thanks
    Martyn
Working...
X