Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seller concealed problem neighbours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seller concealed problem neighbours

We have been in our house for 18 months. We live on an ex-council estate. The majority of houses are privately owned but a few are still local authority and we have unfortunately had trouble from some of the kids from these homes - verbal abuse, 'missiles' thrown at the house and vandalism to our property.

On chatting to other neighbours, it appears that these kids are known troublemakers - I have even been told that there has previously been a campaign to try and get the particular family concerned off the estate.

The police have been very helpful and active in dealing with our issues so hopefully, things will get better but obviously we are worried.

We asked our seller about the neighbourhood before we bought the property and were told that it was all fine and what a nice neighbourhood it was etc, etc. The seller also said that there were no disputes/problems with the neighbours on the official forms, which we now find hard to believe given that the problems are so longstanding according to the police and other neighbours.

Does anyone know what we can do to find out whether the sellers concealed anything from us and whether we can take any action?

Re: Seller concealed problem neighbours

I think unless these trouble-makers are direct neighbours and part of a long-standing problem with the original owners, then I suspect you won't be able to persue anything in terms of this line of action.

Really, it's up to the police to enforce law and order, but if only limited success, may be worth talking to your local council as they can be more effective sometimes at enforcing action in terms of environmental health.

Comment

Re: Seller concealed problem neighbours

Ask yoursef - totally honestly - how much negative comment about the neighbourhood will you advertise or volunteer if/when you come to sell?

I would advise any prospective buyer of a property to check the neighbourhood at different times of day/weekend/evening or during school holidays, in case the atmosphere differs from how it felt at the time of day the agent chose to show it.
      Please don't mess up my planet; it's the only one I've got.

Comment

Working...
      X