Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

missing planning permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing planning permission

Hello,
    I wondered if anybody out there could advise me. I've just discovered that the previous owners of my house added a balcony without seeking planning permission. The balcony was built around 1999. I'm wondering whether to seek retrospective planning permission but am concerned what would happen if the council turns down my application, as it would both be costly and reduce the enjoyment and value of the house if I had to remove it. Is there a time limit as regards when a council would enforce lacking planning permission?

The matter has become urgent as my neighbour (terraced house) has just embarked on major extension work, some of it without planning permission and with significant impact in terms of lack of privacy and light on my property. Original plans were rejected by the council based on objections from me and the neighbour on the other side. They are now planning to go ahead nevertheless, indirectly indicating that I can't make a complaint as my balcony is not permitted either.

I have heard about indemnity insurance - would such insurance secure me in any way in this matter?

Thanks for your help

Kind regards,
    Katrin

Re: missing planning permission

Hi Kaso

I believe, and this is something you'll need to verify, that if it's been 4 years since they made the changes without planning permission, then you're okay. It's a little like squatters rights. Don't be afraid to contact your local planning office.

Hope this helps.
    Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

If the balcony can be seen from a highway then it will probably need planning persmission. Now, as no one has objected thus far you are likely to have your application approved.

Yes you can take out insurance for things like this but it would be better to get the planning permission.
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Hello,

I do regret to say that your solicitors should have researched this before you bought.. or decided to buy the property. If they did not bring this to your attention then you can go after them.

As above, if it has exisited for over 4 years with no complaints, then all ok.. however you will still need to prove that it has been there for 4 years plus?

Best wishes

TW Isadore

Comment

Working...
        X