Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A legal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A legal question

My wife and I both in our 70's jointly own our bungalow which is now free of mortgage.
    If one of us became incapacitated and needed to be admitted to a residential care/nursing home can the authorities demand the sale of our joint home to meet the care/nursing costs ?. If this status did occur it would in effect make the other spouse homeless which seems quite unfair. But what is fair in this day and age I ask myself ?.

Re: A legal question

I totally agree it is 100% wrong. If you had never worked in your life, lived off the state and lived in a council property then you would be given care / nursing costs totally free.

Have you taken legal advice as there are 2 of you living in the property ?
    Adam Long

www.quickhomeseller.co.uk

Comment

Yes will take legal advice on this as you suggest, but enquiries made since my first posting above indicate that the property is safe while a remaining spouse is in occupation

Comment

Yes your right it is, you'll be assessed on any savings or assets you have and a decision will be based on that, but for now your home will be safe.

Comment

Have you considered setting up a trust whereby you effectively give the property to a family member and remain there for as long as you live?

That way the property is protected and you have piece of mind.

I suggest that you speak to a solicitor about this, I'm happy to put you in touch with mine, he's based in Guildford, Surrey.

Comment

Working...
          X