Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hidden moving 'costs'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden moving 'costs'

Hi All,
    I'm moving house in a little while and just wondered if I could rack your brain for a little bit. I'd really like to know what sort of things helped you the most when moving, whether it be solicitors, which ones they were, how you found them to even the right type of packing tape and where you got it from at the right price! Basically, anything that you thought helped you and improved the process.

I'd really love to hear what you all have to say, thank you!

Dan

Re: Hidden moving 'costs'

Just keep as organised as possible and plan well.

Comment

Solicitors Fees
      - Selling Fees ~ £400 - £500 (depending on Law firm and property value of course)
      - Buying ~ £400 - £500

Stamp duty on property you're buying. 1% for < 250k, 2% < 250k,
      Mortgage arrangement fees ~ £1000
      EPC cert ~ £100
      Estate Agent commission (~ 2%) ~ £4000 on a £200k property.

So for £200k house, you're looking at about £8000.

Hope this helps.
      Glen

Comment

There are some really great website that offer useful guides on moving home and the associated costs and stamp duty calculator.
        BRAND NEW HOMES
        Information for UK new home buyers
        New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Hi Dan

Amazon actually sell moving packs you can buy that contain all the essentials like bubble wrap and packing tape. I believe it costs roughly £20. Feel free to PM me if you can't find it.
          Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

Dont forget the additional costs when moving, when you first move into the house, you will often not be able to use the kitchen for a few days, if not weeks, whilst you unpack. This may mean that you work up a large bill in take-away costs. General administration is also needed once you move in to let people know you have moved. In total, this can sometimes lead to quite a costly bill.
            Property for Sale North London

Comment

Take quotes from different comapnies and compare them then only you can find the right company to hire and recognize the hidden costs.

Comment

Better way to consult from the friends and relatives which had hired professional services in past for moving house. You can also get the quotes from the different companies. Just do not choose blindly the company which provides cheaper services. Before hiring any company ask them about all the charges (any hidden charges too), deals and discounts they will offer you. By going through all this in detail choose company wisely for your move.

Comment

Dont do it at the last hour
                  Be organized all the way
                  Pack one room at a time
                  Put delicate glass items in a number of newspaper coats.
                  Label the boxes
                  Put other delicate/breakable small items in between clothes
                  Clean everythng then pack it
                  Pack every item separately, to avoid all from breaking at once incase of accidents
                  While dismantling furniture, remember where you keep small fixtures/screws
                  Incase you hire movers, keep a sharp watch over them.

Comment

Working...
                  X