Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loft Condensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loft Condensation

Hi all,

New to the forum so here we go.

OK, brought a house from bryant begining of the year February, we noticed straight away that we had issues in the loft with condensation so informed bryant. They came out and fitted a new vent, additional to the one and only vent they had put in. As this was summer it seemed to have sorted the problems, so I then started to store some belongings in the loft, I went up a couple of days ago and it is drenched, the felt is so wet all over. Some of the belongings ruined from damp and mould.....

Anyway just had bryant out to inspect the loft and they confirmed it needed more vents and a ridge vent which they will install. I mentioned if I could claim on there insurance for my belongings as it is there fault, but as its not a storage area they wont let me claim.. so I tried my home and contents, they put it down to a gradual cause....

Can someone please give me advise on what to do!

Cheers

Leigh

Re: Loft Condensation

I'm not sure exactly but as it's Bryant's mistake I think they should foot the bill. I had a plethora of problems when I bought a new build from Crosby and it was hard work getting them to rectify what they had not completed in the first place.
    I would suggest getting some free legal advice at the Citizens Advice Bureau, sometimes this advice is not amazing but they may be able to help.
    I really do feel for you house builders often get away with alot.
    Looking for a large mortgage?

Comment

It is an NHBC standard that roofs are adequately ventilated which yours is clearly not.

Your should have continuous eaves ventilation at each side of your roof. adding the odd vent tile will be unlikley to solve the problem.

Bryant is now part of Taylor Wimpey. Write and complain and if you dont get any joy then follow the procedure outlined on my website How to complain section. The templates letters will help you.

As for your belongings Bryant should have told you when you moved in that the roof space (even a properly ventilated one) is not for storage other than appliance boxes etc.

New home buyers beware! visit the website first and find out about new homes BEFORE you buy.
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Originally posted by propertydiamond View Post
        I'm not sure exactly but as it's Bryant's mistake I think they should foot the bill. I had a plethora of problems when I bought a new build from Crosby and it was hard work getting them to rectify what they had not completed in the first place.
        I would suggest getting some free legal advice at the Citizens Advice Bureau, sometimes this advice is not amazing but they may be able to help.
        I really do feel for you house builders often get away with alot.
        As far as I am aware the house must have adequate ventilation as a previous poster has stated your sounds like it doesnt meet these standards.

in my experiance I would press your point home that they have admited liability and therefore they must address the problem and correct this. In these types of situations it can take a lot of hard work to get your point accross and get the problem resolved. big companies believe you will just go away if they ignore you.

Comment

Working...
        X