Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying vs. Building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying vs. Building

My husband and I would love to build a home to our specifications. I am just wondering what the price differences would be. Could someone give me some pros and cons of building your home rather than buying? thanks

Building your home obviously takes a lot more work and organisation, and up to a few years ago could be a real if somewhat esoteric choice.

The trouble these days is that land prices can gone so high that it's not always possible to buy the land and build a home and actually have something particularly competitive if you come to sell after.

That's my impression anyway - and 2c.

Comment

You are right that about the price of land. It can be real exspensive when you figure in the land and the builders price. If I would have been smart I would have bought the land years ago and paid off a good chunk of it and then built.

Comment

Wow, that's not what I wanted to hear. It is just so hard to find a house here. there are practically NO 4-5 bedrooms and with our family we NEED at least a four.. Guess the search is on..

Comment

Cassie, try Scotland.

Comment

I hope that you find what you are looking for. I wouldn't give up on building your house just by our posts though. Prices for land do differ from place to place.

Comment

I think that with so many homes out there that it woul dbe impossible for you not to find the one that is right for you. I personally would go with already built homes.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
                Cassie, try Scotland.
                Oh! I SO wish that I could try somewhere! I love it here in the US but the UK is just so much "cleaner" to me. I see pictures and things just look so beautiful there. If only I could convince my husband!

Comment

I also agree, try Scotland - thousands of miles of nothing but rolling heather covered hills..

Comment

It's certainly cheaper to build from scratch than renovate or rebuild.

Comment

Plus you don't get "older" properties in the US.

Comment

I think building is great way to get a house. You are building your own home the way you want it, but you will spend a lot of time in plus, so if you don't have enough time I think buying is the option.
                        http://www.bestmortgage-refinancing.us/

Comment

Originally posted by co-buyers View Post
                          I also agree, try Scotland - thousands of miles of nothing but rolling heather covered hills..
                          Dont forget the midges ....

Comment

I thought it would be cheaper to build than to buy. Surely the effort in building a house is factored into the price of a finished house. Often this can be as high as 40%.
                            Government Authorised Property Real Estate Agents in Kefalonia, Greece.

Comment

Re: Buying vs. Building

Buying the land at the right fair price is the hardest part.
                              BRAND NEW HOMES
                              Information for UK new home buyers
                              New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
                              X