Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is better- Calling an electrician or making it a DIY project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better- Calling an electrician or making it a DIY project?

Hello all,
    Just moved into a new house in Toronto. The house was built two years back. It is a two story with a full basement. Most of the house is non- grounded K&T wiring. The previous owners have made a mess of it in the basement and it makes me nervous. I plan to finish the basement and would like to rewire the entire house before doing so. I plan to get some bids from electricians for the work. I am also considering rewiring the house by myself. I have good access by way of the basement and attic. Now, I can handle the physical pulling of wires too. What I am not sure of is calculating load and determining circuits and the like. I would like to know if anyone could recommend some books to read, to educate myself about how to determine the circuits designs.
    But when I discussed my idea with my colleague he told me to call an electrician. He points out that since the house is too old and had old model wiring it will be difficult for us to rewire it. So I am in a dilemma. Which is better- Calling an electrician or making it a DIY project?

Personally, I would look to get an electrician to be safe on such a big job who has had years of training & experience. Also, I'm not certain about the rules in Toronto but here you need electrical safety certificates only a trained professional can issue. By all means, if its something you want to get into go for it but await any DIY jobs until you are certified.

Comment

I have a rule not to mess around with anything electricity related. I would always call an electrician.

Comment

Working...
      X