Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer usage...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer usage...

Hello, first of all. Not been on here before.

Just wondered if anyone else is suffering the same fate as me, in that I am not allowed a computer on my desk after over a year of working for a smallish independent estate agency...

We are encouraged to dictate emails, rather than type them, as well as letters and property details, so that the secretary can then type them up. She then prints them off, we then re-check, she makes changes and then we are done - HUGELY inefficient.

I have asked for a computer repeatedly but each time I am told that I am employed to sell, not to type. Is this normal??? Surely most estate agents use emails to communicate with applicants, and type their own letters and details etc? Surely I could be more useful ifI could type my own emails, look up applicants on the database, write my own letters etc, then we wouldn't even need a secretary...!

Intrigued by your feedback.

Thanks,

One Very Frustrated Estate Agent

Have you stepped back in time??!

Maybe you should look for a job with an agency in the 21st century
    www.ownerhome.co.uk
    commission free property sales and lettings

Comment

I'm not an estate agent, but have just bought a house so been in lots of estate agents over the last few months, and nearly all of them (possibly all) had computers.

It does seem rather odd.
      Independent Mortgage Advisor, expert in residential, buy to let, holiday let, and refinance mortgages

Comment

Re: Computer usage...

Point out that if you type your own then they can save on the cost of a secretary, which will more than pay for a nice new PC, though you will have to make your own tea.

Comment

Is the secretary the boss' wife / girlfriend. Joking aside, I find it amazing that a company working in the 21st century doesn't use computers for these types of jobs. If I were you I would look for another job. Not because I didn't have a computer, but because I wouldn't have any faith that such a company could survive long. Better to look for a new job while you have time than wait till they go bust.

Comment

Go for a new job..
            They must be kidding !
            A person needs an outlook to manage all is contacts, answer people, find data.. it's more than just emails.. its customer relationships which might go down.. and without customers down goes the bonus..
            Mortgages with no money down 2010

Comment

that is absolutly stupid.
              if i went into an estate agents and they didnt have a computer i would think they are cheap.
              tell your employers that you need one or else the company will suffer
              We have debt solutions to help you get out of debt problems

Comment

Does sound ridiculously stupid, if they are that backward with a thing like that then get out of there, they will be backward with other things.
                Northern Ireland Property

Comment

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard! I suspect the boss doesn't really know how to do email, so s/he wants to keep the whole business in the darkages to prevent exposing their own ignorance. I would move on or at least get them to buy you a blackberry.

Comment

I can imagine how frustrating this must be, very strange set up!

Comment

Sounds rediculous to me, sure you're employed to make sales but it must take longer to dictate an email to somebody than just type it yourself, you can't exactly be making sales while you're dictating emails to your secretary...

Comment

It does seem a bit strange and as other people have said 'backward'. As long as they don't take away your penny farthing and make you walk you should be ok. :-)

Comment

How annoying you must feel incredibly out of the loop, and what about on line resources such as Rightmove. I worked with possibly the most un-technical Estate Agent in existence but even she had a PC.
                          Looking for a large mortgage?

Comment

"This is frustrating...
                            Although you are there for sales but you can obviously improve your output if things go according to your wish."

Comment

What a strange set up, in 2011 and no computer.... are they a bunch of dinosaurs?

Comment

Working...
                              X