Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

periodic inspection report - electrical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• periodic inspection report - electrical

am i being unreasonable - my buyers had and electrical survey on my house and it was revealed that a new consumer unit would be required to update the earthing regs they have said that the existing earthing system renders the installation dangerous! (bearing in mind this is an old house and i have been here almost 20years and never got an electric shock off of anything) I have offered to pay costs of £500 to have this work done but have asked that they either get the work done after completion or at the very least between exchange of contracts & completion (the company they have employed have quoted approx £ 530 + vat. I contacted the company and the work should take approx 5hours with the electricity obviously switched off. My buyers are insisting that i get the work done before exchange!!

Personally, I don't think it is unreasonable.

If they are willing to show a commitment so as not wasting your time and money, all well and good, but if not, then there is no reason to show commitment back.

Can't it be put into the contract that the work will be done on exchange?
    Community spirited? http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com

Comment

their solicitors are saying if electrical works take place between exchange & completion must be to their clients satisfaction, 1. that contract would be conditional upon between exchange & long-stop completion date. 2. once work carried out the property would be subject to the same electrical test, by the same assessor, who will have to pass the property without reservation. 3.before completion could take place the electrical certificate would have to be to their clients satisfaction 4. deposit moneys at exchange are to be held in their solicitors client account at exchange & if the work is not to their clients satisfaction their client would be able to rescind the contract & would have his deposit returned to him forthwith. 5 if completion could take place earlier than the long stop date e.g 7 working days after the certificate had been provide to their clients satisfaction. Their client is not willing to negotiate any further on this matter!!!!!
      I think they are being totally unreasonable !! I think i might just tell them to get lost and take the property off the market, get what works needs doing in my own time and by a recommended electrician. I dont think i can stand much more of this!!!

Comment

The whole point of "Part P" is to get a certain standard of work. It shouldn't need to be re-assessed. As long as you know what is required and the electrician does the work to Part P, then the electricians certificate should be enough.

How desperate are you to sell the house? Are you more desperate than they are to buy it?

Ultimately, it is your choice. Can you risk saying no and them walking away?

Personally, I think their solicitor is trying for all he can get. Whilst that is his job, you have offered to pay for the work to be done.

A surveyors report is a condition on how poor a house is. It never is a condition of how good a house is. It is his job to find fault.

On another note, why don't you try it on to their solicitor... tell them that you want a non-refundable deposit placing with your solicitor. If you have the work done and they still pull out, you keep the deposit.

(I am not a lawyer, or a part p electician)

Comment

Originally posted by rutter View Post
          I think they are being totally unreasonable !! I think i might just tell them to get lost and take the property off the market, get what works needs doing in my own time and by a recommended electrician. I dont think i can stand much more of this!!!

I would tend to agree with you but I'm just wondering how long it took to find the buyer in the first place?

Kaz

Comment

actually not that long to find the buyer and to be honest i'm not desperate, i think i would rather sell the house to someone else for 10 grand cheaper than the current people - i'm certain they will try and find something else after this to try and drop the price - they know that its a buyers market and they're trying to push me into selling - i don't have to agree to these totally unreasonable demands!!

Comment

In that case, I totally agree with you. I'd pull out, get the work done at my own convenience and then start again.

Obviously, you'll probably have to pay your solicitor for the work he/she has done to date but it's worth it in my view to avoid all this hassle. Buying and selling is stressful enough without having to put up with people like that.

Besides, it sounds to me as if they really want your house or they wouldn't be making all this fuss, surely if it was that big a problem they'd just pull out themselves wouldn't they?

I'd be interested to know what you decide.

Kaz

Comment

Yep, I tend to agree as well.

Tell the buyers to put-up or shut-up. You could be cheeky and even ask them for more money if they still want to buy.

Comment

thanks for your comments i know in my heart of hearts they are just pissing me around and tomorrow i'm gonna tell the solicitor that there is no way i'm agreeing to their demands. i've had some legal and personal advice today and basically they said the same 'tell them to take a hike' no way should i agree to anything that gives them the right to decide 'its to their satisfaction' and as the last paragraph mentions they have no intention of negotiating - neither have i - i've had it up to my eyeballs!!! i'm not desperate so i'm gonna take the house off the market get the work done, get the certificate and put the house back on the market perhaps next year!!! (hopefully with more success)

Comment

There is no need to take it off the market. Just leave it on. If they want to buy it, then 'sold as seen'. Don't let it put you off.

The next people through the door may also want to buy it... and their solicitor might not be as picky.

Comment

I agree that you should leave it on the market especially as you intend to get the work done.

Don't forget, if you take it off and put it back on again later, you'll have to get another HIP.

Kaz

Comment

Working...
                      X