Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Housing market - boom or bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tater03
    replied
    I would love to know what you ended up doing and how the housing market is their? I know it is not easy to sell a house here in the states. Not fast anyway and usually not getting what you want pricewise.

Leave a comment:

• parise1
    replied
    I think is has moved from a buyers market, to a sellers market. Good thing I bought a house a year ago.

Leave a comment:

• katharina
    replied
    Originally posted by brian View Post
    I'm torn between looking to simply jump on the property ladder while I can - or else wait as much as another year, and possibly have a better pick of properties in a buyer's market.
    Aargh!!
    Brian... it's been nearly 8 months since you posted this. How did the market end up going, and what was your decision? I'll be facing the same thing soon. I want SO much to own the house next to us when it goes on the market but there are a few factors making me think that may not be such a good idea. It will be a dilemma for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Emma S
    replied
    I see a fall in prices as unlikely, too. There's just too much demand. The only thing that could take the wind completely from the sails of the UK property market, so far as I would guess, is the complete collapse of the rental market. But that ain't going to happen unless we see something drastic like bird flu.

2c.

Leave a comment:

• brian
    replied
    Shame I haven't some spare cash, otherwise I could look at buying abroad.

Leave a comment:

• sweet_mayhem
    replied
    hey thanks for that post. right now, i think prices of properties are just rising here in the philippines. there is a greater demand for apartments and condos especially here in the city. that's why im opting to go on a for-rent business in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• brian
    replied
    To be honest, I've really been hopeful of a flattening market, but it's certainly not happened in Scotland yet.

Also, I'd seen it suggested before that London effectively serves as a predictor for house market movements - what happens in London, ripples out.

ie, when London prices shoot up, people sell up and move out, effectively stimulating the areas they move into.

London boomed before the general housing boom took off, then slowed - and the general markets slowed down.

But London property is booming again. And with the Olympics being held in 2012 in London, I can see that adding another kick for the London property.

Leave a comment:

• ninikins
    replied
    I dunno. Depends how much faith you put in MSN

Leave a comment:

• OneofaKind
    replied
    I doubt if the housing market will really flatten out. I definitely don't see the prices falling

Leave a comment:

• brian
    started a topic Housing market - boom or bust?

Housing market - boom or bust?

Here's an interest piece on MSN:
    http://money.uk.msn.com/Investing/In...umentid=660092

It states that a fall in property prices is unlikely - excepting under 3 key criteria:

1. Interest rate rises
    2. Rising unemployment
    3. Rising inflation

and then concludes that the housing market is likely to simply flatten out.

BUT...

1. Interest rate rises are on the cards
    2. Unemployment is rising, and now the highest level for 6 years
    3. Inflation is *above* the Bank of England's target, and oil prices are now at record levels.

I'm torn between looking to simply jump on the property ladder while I can - or else wait as much as another year, and possibly have a better pick of properties in a buyer's market.

Aargh!!
Working...
X